Beach set to return to Norfolk town as season of summer events kick-off
- Credit: The Lively Crew
The sand of the coast will be returning to a Norfolk town, as part of a season of summer events.
On the Green returns to Thetford this year with a host of music nights celebrating hits from the past 20 years.
Held at the Thetford Riverside, the season was started with glam rock by London Elton John impersonator, Kevin Clay.
Hundreds turned up to party at the free event which is funded by Breckland Council as part of its Market Towns Initiative.
Included in this year's programme is the return of the beach to Riverside, from August bank holiday weekend, August 23, which aims to allow residents and visitors to enjoy the summer sun as if they were beside the sea.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Mark Robinson, executive member for community, leisure and culture at Breckland Council, said: "The new programme is shaping up to be even bigger than last year's and it is great so many people attended the first event.
"There are some great activities planned, so I hope people from the town and visitors to the area will make the most of future events. They're sure to have great fun and it is a great way to support local businesses at the same time."
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Brandon bungalow blaze thought to be started by faulty boiler
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 5 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 8 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 9 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 10 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
An event has been created to coincide with Norfolk Day, with a music night on Saturday, July 27.
As well as this a programme of regular events have been created aiming to bring together members of the community, encourage visitors to the town and provide a boost to local businesses.
Hosted every fortnight are musically themed nights including The Beatles, Elvis open mic, ABBA and Disney.
Alex Long, from the season's organisers, The Lively Crew, said: "Last year's activity gained a massive local following and Friday night's attendance suggests the support for such events is set to continue and grow.
"Over the coming months the mix of music and other activities will give residents a reason to come into town and socialise."
There will be a number of events announced throughout the summer as well as the those that have been scheduled.