Yule lifts Thetford’s Juster Cup after two steady rounds
- Credit: Archant
Two steady rounds of 75 were good enough for scratch player Iain Yule to win the Steve Juster Cup at Thetford Golf Club.
Iain overhauled first-round leader Matt West in the 36-hole competition, which is played over two days.
Five-handicapper West signed for a one-over-par 73 on the Saturday for a two-stroke lead over Yule. He was one-under-par on the 18th tee but finished with a double-bogey six.
The leading pair were followed by Peter Allott (76), John Tavener, Tom Fitchew and Gary Scott (78s), Matt Harben (79) and David Hudson (80).
On Sunday Yule completed the first nine in 36 while West took 43, including four sixes. Yule had seven pars and two bogeys on the back nine to make sure he held off any challenge from West, who had three birdies but finished with a bogey five at the 18th.
You may also want to watch:
David Hudson, who plays off eight, returned a 78 on Sunday to take third place in the scratch event with 158, while also securing the handicap cup with a nett total of 142. Fifteen-handicap Peter Webster was runner-up with 143 with John Baldwin (13) pipping West for third place on countback with a nett total of 144.
Final scores, gross: 150 Iain Yule (75-75); 154 Matt West (73-81); 158 Dave Hudson 80-78; 161 Matt Harben (79-82) and Peter Allott (76-85); 163 Jason Huggins (86-77); 164 Ross Sanford (83-81); 165 John Tavener (78-87); 166 Dean Scott (82-84) and John Ward (81-85); 167 Gary Scott (78-89); 168 Mike Horley (81-87); 169 Brian Youngs (86-83).
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 5 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
Nett: 142 David Hudson (8 handicap); 143 Peter Webster (15); 144 John Baldwin (13) and Matt West (5); 145 David Goddard (15); 146 Dean Scott (10) and John Ward (10).
Seniors’ Molson Coors Stableford: 42pts Bob Fletcher (11); 41 Ollie Snushall (18); 39 John Baldwin (12); 38 Chris Evans (20); 37 Bob Setchell (4) and Steve Campbell (13); 36 Geoff Allan (18), Malcolm Wright (22) and Graham Kemp (13); 35 Gary Goodchild (13), Peter King (17), Peter Yule (17), Chris Foulds (21), Steve Cobb (10) and Bob Pearson (14).
Ladies’ May Stableford, Division One: 34pts Sue Pitcher (10), 33 Margaret Hayward (19) and Sheila Spreadborough (19). Division Two: 38 Sandra Lester (27), 32 Dawn Davies (21), 29 Dawn Dixon (22). Division Three: 32 Elizabeth Hodgson (34), 28 Judy Zannini (29).
Sutherland Vase: 40pts Jennifer Rowe (21), 36 Julie Arthur (8) and Heather Keeble (13).