Young cyclists battle it out
EVERY year young cyclists aged between 12 and 18, in full-time education, get to compete against their contemporaries to win the George Herbert Stancer National Championship awards.
EVERY year young cyclists aged between 12 and 18, in full-time education, get to compete for the George Herbert Stancer National Championship awards.
On Saturday the regional heat of the GMS, as it is affectionally known, was run on the one-mile course based at Earsham, Suffolk.
Simon Alexander, 15, who rides for Southend Wheelers, turned in the fastest time of 22 minutes 44 seconds.
Cycling Club Breckland's Adam Cross, also aged 15, was third in 23:31 while club-mate Emily Davis, at 13 the youngest rider, recorded 30:14.
You may also want to watch:
Riding in the accompanying event for seniors organised by Norwich Amateur BC, Chris Nudds was the fastest of the four Breckland riders in 23:05, followed by Mike Wood 24:32, Ray Turner 24:43 and Tony Reynolds 24:51.
Geoff Muller was the fastest in the club mid-week event over 15 miles with a time of 37:22 while Mark Fairhead 37:44, Rod Hobbs 39:49 and Allan Holland 44:16, were the only Breckland riders to cover the whole distance apart from the tandem pair Don Saunders and Declan Davis, who recorded 37:57.
- 1 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 2 Flowers and windmill stolen from baby's grave
- 3 Town's county councillors vow to tackle neglected underpasses
- 4 Masked burglar hit victim with fake gun and threatened to shoot family dog
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Rush to save school proms from being axed
- 7 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 8 Drug-driver's pickup cannoned off-duty detective's car into oncoming traffic
- 9 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 10 Tributes flood in for Dad's Army superfan and family man Neville
Second-claim members Peter Hamon and Dave Smith turned in times of 46:17 and 46:34 while Steve Penney covered one lap in a time of 26:10.