Woodbridge 33 Thetford 24 – Great spirit in late rally
- Credit: Submitted
Woodbridge were the opponents for Thetford’s final away game of the season in Greene King IPA Eastern Counties One.
The hosts kicked off the game and the scoring, before doubling their lead later in the half, but Thetford were in the game, despite the half-time score being 14-0 to the Suffolk side.
Josh Clark was making breaks and the forwards were creating clean ball for scrum-half Richard Sharp, but each attack was just missing the final pass which became crucial towards the end of the game. After the break things didn’t really get better for the red and white of Thetford because they conceded another 19 points, but it was to be a repeat of the 38-22 loss at Ely at the start of the season, as they grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and took it to Woodbridge.
The leadership of Aaron Stoke and Roger Cash, the grunt coming from Enviro Waste Man of the Match Zak Pizzey and Ian Wallis and the skill from Will Martin and Luke Boynes stole the show but the whole team played their part for the 24 points scored in around 10 minutes.
Clark scored the first, Corey Lewis then scored his first try for the senior side and Martin scored twice as Thetford just missed out on the losing bonus point.
You may also want to watch:
Fifth-placed Thetford now have just two matches remaining, both at home, against Ipswich YM this Saturday and then Wisbech on April 11.
Thetford: 1 Roger Cash, 2 Lewis Mason, 3 Aaron Stokoe, 4 Ben Brown, 5 Jordan Langham, 6 Ben Grist, 7 Sean Groombridge, 8 Zak Pizzey, 9. Richard Sharp, 10 Luke Boynes, 12 Josh Clark, 13 Michael Stickland, 14 Corey Lewis, 15 Ryan Gardiner. Replacements: 16 Ian Wallis, 17 Phil Johns, 18 Will Martin.
- 1 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 2 Family's desperate plea to help find missing wartime medals
- 3 Couple caught at dawn dumping waste in forest
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Symptom-free Covid testing sites set to open in Thetford
- 6 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 7 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 8 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 9 Repeat offender given £600 fine for fly-tipping next to public bin
- 10 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased