Woodbridge 33 Thetford 24 – Great spirit in late rally
- Credit: Submitted
Woodbridge were the opponents for Thetford’s final away game of the season in Greene King IPA Eastern Counties One.
The hosts kicked off the game and the scoring, before doubling their lead later in the half, but Thetford were in the game, despite the half-time score being 14-0 to the Suffolk side.
Josh Clark was making breaks and the forwards were creating clean ball for scrum-half Richard Sharp, but each attack was just missing the final pass which became crucial towards the end of the game. After the break things didn’t really get better for the red and white of Thetford because they conceded another 19 points, but it was to be a repeat of the 38-22 loss at Ely at the start of the season, as they grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and took it to Woodbridge.
The leadership of Aaron Stoke and Roger Cash, the grunt coming from Enviro Waste Man of the Match Zak Pizzey and Ian Wallis and the skill from Will Martin and Luke Boynes stole the show but the whole team played their part for the 24 points scored in around 10 minutes.
Clark scored the first, Corey Lewis then scored his first try for the senior side and Martin scored twice as Thetford just missed out on the losing bonus point.
You may also want to watch:
Fifth-placed Thetford now have just two matches remaining, both at home, against Ipswich YM this Saturday and then Wisbech on April 11.
Thetford: 1 Roger Cash, 2 Lewis Mason, 3 Aaron Stokoe, 4 Ben Brown, 5 Jordan Langham, 6 Ben Grist, 7 Sean Groombridge, 8 Zak Pizzey, 9. Richard Sharp, 10 Luke Boynes, 12 Josh Clark, 13 Michael Stickland, 14 Corey Lewis, 15 Ryan Gardiner. Replacements: 16 Ian Wallis, 17 Phil Johns, 18 Will Martin.
- 1 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 2 Man rescued from van after collision with tractor
- 3 Parts of Thetford hit by flooding due to heavy rain
- 4 'Extensive damage' caused as business centre is flooded
- 5 Thetford counts costs after 5cm of rain falls in 30 minutes
- 6 Cows cause congestion after wandering into RAF Lakenheath viewing area
- 7 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 8 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 9 Augmented reality Gruffalo trail launches in forest
- 10 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone