Wheels spin at New Year
Cyclists started 2011 with a touch of pedal power at CC Breckland’s Open 10 on New Year’s Day.
The winner was Chelmer CC’s Neil Hornett in 21:56 with Mark Lloyd of Colchester Rovers CC second in 22:17 and the host club’s Chris Nudds third in 22:36.
The previous weekend, eight brave and brightly dressed riders gathered at the start line to race around the chilly roads of Scoulton to clinch the prestigious CC Breckland Boxing Day title, claim the Best Dressed trophy and burn off some of the excess turkey.
Peter James beat Declan Davis, riding on his 13th birthday, by 28 seconds to finish first in 28:42.
Other mentions go to Daryl Glover, 29:32, dressed as Father Christmas, with Don Saunders and Emily Davis riding tandem, dressed as Father Christmas and Tinkerbell, who finished in 36:10.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Fairhead, 34:34, won the Best Dressed Competition with his spectacular chicken suit.
Extra credit has to be given for managing to stay on his bike as on the last sprint he almost took off.
- 1 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 2 Family's desperate plea to help find missing wartime medals
- 3 Couple caught at dawn dumping waste in forest
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Symptom-free Covid testing sites set to open in Thetford
- 6 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 7 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 8 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 9 Repeat offender given £600 fine for fly-tipping next to public bin
- 10 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased
Cycling Club Breckland will be holding 4-Up training sessions every Saturday throughout February at 2pm from Carbrooke Village Hall for anyone of any ability.
Come along and try something new, make new friends and increase your fitness in a fun and welcoming atmosphere.
For more information visit www.ccbreckland.org.uk
CC Breckland Open New Year’s Day 10 – 1 Neil Hornett (Chelmer CC) 21:56, 2 Mark Lloyd (Colchester Rovers CC) 22:17, 3 Chris Nudds (CC Breckland) 22:36, 4 Liam Gentry (VC Baracchi) 22:47, 5 Nick Esser (VC Baracchi) 23:20, 6 Jake Clare (Sleaford Wheelers) 24:10, 7 Mark Ready (Diss and District CC) 24:37, 8 Paul White (Diss and District CC) 25:00, 9 Peter James (CC Breckland) 25:09, 10 Andy Tyler (Great Yarmouth CC) 26:04, 11 Roger Graham (VC Norwich) 26:25, 12 Sally Withey (VC Norwich) 26:30, 13 Michelle Paget (Rugby Velo CC) 26:42, 14 Nick Parravani (CC Breckland) 26:58, 15 Adrian Perkin (Godric CC) 27:42, 16 Declan Davis (CC Breckland) 27:44, 17 John Dupen (Godric CC) 27:45, 18 Peter Baumber (Cambridge T&C CC 27:58, 19 Bob Brabbins (Bishop’s Stortford CC) 28:15, 20 Keith Grasby (CC Breckland) 28:16, 21 Brian Foster (Norwich ABC) 31:49