Watton youngster wins Ishin Ryu British title for fourth time
Watton martial artist Kieran Steward has become British Champion of his sport for the fourth year running.
Steward has been training in the art of Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu at Watton Junior School and the organisation’s Thetford dojo and Brandon dojo since the age of four.
Each year Ishin Ryu, founded by chief instructor Kevin Pell, stage a British Championship for all their students around the UK.
Kieran’s dad, Trevor, national coach for children’s training and development within the UK for Ishin Ryu, said: “This is one of the happiest days of my life, to see my son achieve the title of British Champion for the fourth time.
“Many parents who had never seen their child enter a competition or even seen them training were overwhelmed by their confidence and ability to deal with their opponent during the contest and no matter how aggressive and hard their contest was everyone showed each other complete respect at the end of each contest with a bow and shake of hands.
You may also want to watch:
“It was wonderful to hear and see parents cheering their sons and daughters on throughout the competition, and the applause that followed each round just added to the tremendous atmosphere.”
The Thetford dojo offers two free lessons for children. Training on Monday is between 6pm and 7pm for infants (ages four to seven), 7pm-8pm for Juniors (ages eight to 14), 8pm-9pm for teenagers and 8pm-10pm for adults.
- 1 Thetford man charged with abduction of 17-year-old girl
- 2 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 3 Drivers delayed following accident in Brandon
- 4 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 5 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 6 Sugar beet price shoots up - but not all Suffolk farmers are won over
- 7 Neil, 85, touches hearts after taking part in memory walk for residents
- 8 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
Saturdays is 9.30am-10.30am for infants, 10.30-11.30am for juniors and 11.30am-12.30pm for teenagers.
For further information, visit www.ishinryu.com