Watton youngster wins Ishin Ryu British title for fourth time
Watton martial artist Kieran Steward has become British Champion of his sport for the fourth year running.
Steward has been training in the art of Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu at Watton Junior School and the organisation’s Thetford dojo and Brandon dojo since the age of four.
Each year Ishin Ryu, founded by chief instructor Kevin Pell, stage a British Championship for all their students around the UK.
Kieran’s dad, Trevor, national coach for children’s training and development within the UK for Ishin Ryu, said: “This is one of the happiest days of my life, to see my son achieve the title of British Champion for the fourth time.
“Many parents who had never seen their child enter a competition or even seen them training were overwhelmed by their confidence and ability to deal with their opponent during the contest and no matter how aggressive and hard their contest was everyone showed each other complete respect at the end of each contest with a bow and shake of hands.
You may also want to watch:
“It was wonderful to hear and see parents cheering their sons and daughters on throughout the competition, and the applause that followed each round just added to the tremendous atmosphere.”
The Thetford dojo offers two free lessons for children. Training on Monday is between 6pm and 7pm for infants (ages four to seven), 7pm-8pm for Juniors (ages eight to 14), 8pm-9pm for teenagers and 8pm-10pm for adults.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 3 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 4 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 9 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
Saturdays is 9.30am-10.30am for infants, 10.30-11.30am for juniors and 11.30am-12.30pm for teenagers.
For further information, visit www.ishinryu.com