Watton youngster wins Ishin Ryu British title for fourth time
Watton martial artist Kieran Steward has become British Champion of his sport for the fourth year running.
Steward has been training in the art of Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu at Watton Junior School and the organisation’s Thetford dojo and Brandon dojo since the age of four.
Each year Ishin Ryu, founded by chief instructor Kevin Pell, stage a British Championship for all their students around the UK.
Kieran’s dad, Trevor, national coach for children’s training and development within the UK for Ishin Ryu, said: “This is one of the happiest days of my life, to see my son achieve the title of British Champion for the fourth time.
“Many parents who had never seen their child enter a competition or even seen them training were overwhelmed by their confidence and ability to deal with their opponent during the contest and no matter how aggressive and hard their contest was everyone showed each other complete respect at the end of each contest with a bow and shake of hands.
“It was wonderful to hear and see parents cheering their sons and daughters on throughout the competition, and the applause that followed each round just added to the tremendous atmosphere.”
The Thetford dojo offers two free lessons for children. Training on Monday is between 6pm and 7pm for infants (ages four to seven), 7pm-8pm for Juniors (ages eight to 14), 8pm-9pm for teenagers and 8pm-10pm for adults.
- 1 Two people taken to hospital after van rolls over in Lynford crash
- 2 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 3 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 4 Tesco supermarket in Brandon reopens after cash machines ram raid
- 5 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 6 Noise warning issued due to increased flying over RAF Lakenheath
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Council buys disused building to regenerate town's riverfront
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
Saturdays is 9.30am-10.30am for infants, 10.30-11.30am for juniors and 11.30am-12.30pm for teenagers.
For further information, visit www.ishinryu.com