Vital points for Brandon after last-gasp winner
Brandon Town 4, Loddon United 3
The management team of Paul Wright and Kevin Sobiechowski had the unusual position of having a full squad to select from.
They were keen to pick up maximum points at home to fellow strugglers Loddon. Influential skipper Winstone returned to partner defensive rock Tuffs at the heart of the defence, moving the versatile Malster to full-back.
Midfield playmaker Kent was brought into the centre of midfield to add some much needed creativity and the enigma that is Ian Bethell returned on the wing.
Town started brightly but fell behind when a deep cross from the left was nodded in at the far post.
You may also want to watch:
But instead of crumbling, Brandon had a new-found resolve. Bland had an effort cruelly wiped out by the ref’s late whistle for a push.
Bethell was causing his full- back all sorts of problems with his pace and skill and Jolly was continuing his fine recent form. Brandon drew level when a defensive error let in Airidas Paskaukas and he finished with ease.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 3 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 4 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 9 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
Town could have gone in front before half-time when the Loddon keeper made a fine stop to deny Jolly. The second half started as the first finished with Town on top and they took full advantage of this when Bethell drilled the ball home.
This spurred a determined Loddon on and Barlow had to make several top-drawer saves to keep his side in it.
Town were looking shaky and losing possession far too easily and to no-one’s surprise Loddon got a deserved equaliser.
Brandon were not to be denied and took the lead again when Bland beat the offside trap and his marker and gave the keeper no chance.
The Loddon keeper was sent off for using his hands outside the area and it looked as though Town would see the game out with ease.
This was not to be the case when a defensive howler let the forward in for a late equalising goal.
Bethell went on a 40-yard run which ended in a free- kick just on the edge of the box. Kent coolly dispatched the kick into the bottom corner for an unbelievable 4-3 last-gasp victory.
This weekend, Brandon play Wroxham Reserves at home, 2pm kick-off.