Visiting pair turn on the style to win Thetford Golf Club’s popular Spring Open
- Credit: Archant
Visitors Trevor Cave and James Ong from Eaton Golf Club ran away with Thetford’s Spring Open with a fine score of 44 points.
Trevor, playing off eight, and his four-handicap partner James had four birdies between them plus an eagle from James at the par-five ninth hole.
They ended up four points clear of four pairs on 40 points who had to be separated by countback. Richard Walters (Diss, 17 handicap) and Ian Wheeldon (Woodbridge, 10) took the runners-up prizes thanks to their final six holes, pipping Gary Simmons (5) and David Ransley (5) from the Warren, James Greenfield (7) and Matt Evans (5) from King’s Lynn and Mike Palmer (8) and Bruce Canham (9) from the Links at Newmarket.
Two pairs finished with 39 — another Warren partnership, David Effemy (11) and Neil Manley (11) - and Crondon Park’s Desmond Orrin (14), who partnered the home club’s Barry Tredgett (19).
Weather and course conditions were excellent for the field of 92, representing clubs from all over East Anglia.
The John Fison Cup is one of Thetford Golf Club’s oldest and most prestigious trophies and it traditionally hails the start of the competitive season at the club.
This year’s winner is Neil Elers who returned 85-15-70 to win by three strokes from Robert Bentley (89-16-73).
- 1 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Roads to have speed limit cut to 30mph after death sparks campaign
- 4 'A posy fit for a Queen' - Winners crowned in school Jubilee competition
- 5 Escaped cows block traffic on A1065 in Suffolk
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 9 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 10 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
Other leading scores: Robert Taylor 79-5-74, Ian Ramsay 86-12-74, Mike Horley 80-6-74, Wayne Prigg 88-14-74, Robert Setchell 78-4-74, John Baldwin 88-13-75, Iain Yule 76-1-75.
The Ladies’ Closed Spring Meeting, the first major event of the year for the section, was held in perfect spring-like weather.
A total of 38 women took part, with several more joining them for the meal following the golf.
Some great scores were recorded, with Norfolk county player Shelly Pleasance winning the Woodland Trophy for the best gross score of 76 and Liz Wigg the Highfield Trophy for the best nett recording an 83-15-68.
Silver Division: 1 Jan Bone nett 73, 2 Heather Keeble 74, 3 Sharon Caws 75. Bronze Division: 1 Gill Welham 71, 2 Andrea Fletcher 74, 3 Shirley Spreadbury 75.
April Midweek Medal: Brian Maiden 88-20-68, Matt Harben 75-6-69, Jason Huggins 76-6-70, Robert Setchell 75-4-71, Neil Elers 89-15-74, Brian How 84-9-75, Giles Evans 74-+1-75.