Vera quick to make her mark at Thetford Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Vera Squirrell won the Phillips Cup, one of the first ladies’ trophy events at Thetford Golf Club as the season continues to get into full swing.
Vera, playing off 25, had a nett 73 to beat eight-handicap Kath Malvern by a single stroke. Mary Neal was third with 103-28-75.
The seniors had two major competitions. The Hooper Cup is for players aged over 60 and was won in fine style by Charles Kesingland with 89-23-66. He finished four strokes ahead of Martin Jackson (11 handicap) and Malcolm Wright (22) who returned nett 70s.
The SSAFA Stableford is always a popular event, raising money for the Forces charity. Barry Brackenborough is this year’s winner after collecting 39 points off his handicap of 11. John Barton (12) and Derek Barton (14) were second and third with 37 points.
Other scores: 36 Norman Hargreaves (20), Ian Brown (16), John Baldwin (13), Steve Cobb (10), Frank Knight (23), Stephen McIlroy (27) and Alan Hitchborn (12); 35 Ken Groves (16) and Bob Pearson (14); 34 Martin Jackson (11); 33 Alan Ashcroft (17).
The Aspirants’ Shield is for players with a handicap over 20. David Benton won with 38 points off a handicap of 20, followed by Paul MacRow (25) and Terry Harrison (22) with 35. Other scores: 34 Colin Seakings (22) and Kevin Stannard (27); 33 Mark Leeder (24) and Ken Kirwan (26); 32 Tom Bullen (20) and John Gaine (24); 29 Chris Foulds (21) and Norman Hargreaves (20).
Eighty-five-year-old Derek Rutterford, a member of Thetford Golf Club since 1990, recorded the fourth hole-in-one of his career at the 16th.
- 1 Part of A134 closed after crash between lorry and car
- 2 Woman breaks down in tears as she denies making up sex assaults
- 3 Forest ride in memory of 'lively character' and popular mountain biker
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 6 Huge farm network is helping rare Brecks wildlife in field margins
- 7 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 8 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 9 New rules introduced today in bid to stop Omicron spread
- 10 Decision delayed on changes at South Norfolk equestrian centre
Derek, playing alongside George Gamble and John Lynch, found the fresh wind was into his face at the 16th and so he chose to play a driver. Eighteen-handicap Derek hit it well and it bounced on the front of the green and bounced on. He thought it had probably gone through the back of the green and it was only when the hole was checked that his ball was found.
Derek has had two previous aces at the 16th along with one more at Feltwell.
Ladies’ April Stableford, Division One: 41pts Janice Fossey (13); 36 Sheila Spreadborough (19) and Julie Arthur (8). Division Two: 34 Mary Neal (28); 33 Dawn Dixon (22) and Pauline O’Sullivan (27). Division Three: 41 Linda Connor (36); 38 Valerie Gallagher (30); 33 Gwen Dixon (32).