Trophy time at Mildenhall Cycling Club
MILDENHALL Cycling Club celebrated its top riders of 2010 at its recent annual lunch and prize presentation at the cricket club.
The top senior awards were keenly competed for between Moe Milstead, Marc Bowers, Harvey Wright and Matthew Mantle ensuring that some of the awards weren’t decided until the end of the season.
Milstead took the honours in the most sought-after accolade, the senior super champion. This is a season- long competition taking into account all aspect of club life, covering a rough ride, a two-lap circuit time trial, grass track, road race, hill climb, off-road championship, cyclo-cross, club night attendance, club run attendance and club worker.
Bowers, following in his father Dave’s wheels, was the fastest up Primrose Hill in Moulton to take the hill climb championship. Away from the tarmac, Mantle proved he was no match, to become the senior off-road and cyclo-cross champions.
The club’s committee are delighted though that after a lean period the number of younger members competing is improving. One of the reasons behind this is the club’s investment in British Cycling’s Go-Ride programme.
This has seen the emergence of Colin Mantle, who at just eight years old, is regularly racing and competing on level terms against children two to three years older than him.
After a superb meal, Barry Archer was joined by honorary member George Wadman to make the presentations.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Train delays as lorry hits railway bridge
- 3 Crowdfunder for terminally ill mum to fulfil dream of marrying partner
- 4 Police search for owner of puppy lost near Mildenhall
- 5 Final consultation to be undertaken on future of Thetford Market Place
- 6 'She was the glue' - Family's loving tribute to devoted mum Netty
- 7 Concerns raised over plans for holiday cabins at equestrian centre
- 8 Rare chance to rent a 16th century farmhouse overlooking a Norfolk estate
- 9 Motorbike and car crash on A134 near Norfolk village
- 10 Five-year-old child struck by car in Brandon discharged from hospital
One of those was the committee’s award, which for 2010 was a unanimous decision to recognise Milstead’s involvement in not only the competitive aspects of the Mildenhall club, but also the way in which he has re-invigorated the club’s social scene.
Main winners – super champion Moe Milstead, senior off-road champion Matthew Mantle, youth off-road champion Colin Mantle, senior cyclo-cross champion Matthew Mantle, youth cyclo-cross champion David Archer, hill climb champion Marc Bowers, senior track champion Sarra Boyd, youth track champion Adam Gough, road race champion Max Pendleton.