Tom Mead leads Thetford athletes home at UK Cross Country Championships
- Credit: Submitted
The final major cross country championship of the season took place as the best junior and senior athletes from across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland gathered at Cofton Park in Birmingham for the UK Cross Country Championships.
Eight athletes from every county across the UK were selected to represent their region with Tom Mead, Aiden Try and Jessica Norkett of Thetford Athletics Club chosen to wear the black, red and yellow stripes of Norfolk.
Tom Mead finished in 100th place out of the 305 completing the Under 15s race, crossing the line in a time of 17:30. Aiden Try’s time of 17:45 saw him finish in 137th position. Hampshire’s Zakariya Mahamed won the U15 event in a time of 15:36.
By the time the U15 girls race took place towards the back end of the event schedule, the Cofton Park course was extremely churned up from the many races that had preceded it. Unfortunately, Jessica Norkett fell victim to the difficult conditions and was unable to complete the course. However, this race was not typical of Norkett’s season as she has performed extremely well in both regional and national races, regularly finishing in higher order positions and representing both Thetford AC and the Norfolk county team well throughout the cross-country season.
Thetford Athletic Club are pleased to announce that entry is now open for the 2016 Breckland 10k road race and children’s fun run.
You may also want to watch:
The race is held at Croxton Village Hall on Bank Holiday Monday, May 2 and is open to runners 15 years and older through online entry. Entries for the children’s fun run will only be accepted on the day.
All finishers of the 10k will receive a medal from the club and goody bag provided by the event sponsor, Co-operative Travel, Thetford branch.
- 1 Island park to be named in honour of town's Sikh links
- 2 Police appeal for dashcam footage after man died on A11
- 3 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Thetford man wanted in connection with assault
- 6 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 7 'Beers, big TVS and men's mental health': New barbershop to open in town
- 8 Teen stabbed in Thetford
- 9 One in eight Breckland adults yet to receive Covid vaccine
- 10 Hotel owner providing free lunches for those in need
Those interested in securing their place should log on to www.thetford-ac.co.uk