Title triumph for Thetford Sunday
THETFORD Sunday finished their 2009 league campaign with a win at Castle Acre, which in turn gave them the league title. The home side won the toss and put Thetford into bat and took an early wicket when Andy Kerling (6) was trapped in front off the bowling of Bowlby.
THETFORD Sunday finished their 2009 league campaign with a win at Castle Acre, which in turn gave them the league title.
The home side won the toss and put Thetford into bat and took an early wicket when Andy Kerling (6) was trapped in front off the bowling of Bowlby.
The Castle Acre bowlers made it very difficult for the Thetford batsman to score quick runs and when Ryan Conroy (8) was bowled, followed shortly after by Karl Harris (19), Thetford were 44-3.
Liam Conroy came into bat and along with Nicky Shepherd the pair started to push the run rate on playing some good attacking strokes along the way.
You may also want to watch:
The score was well into three figures when Conroy (45) was caught off the bowling of Brown and when Shepherd (33) was bowled by Whiting, the score had been pushed on to 133-5.
Simon Richards continued to show his good current form and, with the support of Nathan Coleman, continued to keep the scoreboard ticking over.
- 1 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 2 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 3 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 4 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 5 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 6 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 7 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 8 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 9 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
Coleman (13) was stumped of the bowling of Bowlby and when E Whiting took two Thetford wickets late on, taking his wicket haul to five, it brought the final Thetford total to 166 with Richards finishing 14 not out.
Faced with the task of defending only a moderate total, Thetford needed to get off to a good start and they duly did when Lewis Greyson took two early wickets.
Robbie Chamberlain and Nathan Coleman took two further wickets which left Castle Acre struggling at 55-4. The middle order pair of Whiting and Fryatt gave the home side some hope as they pushed their total onwards and at the halfway point of their innings an exciting finish looked very much in prospect.
However, after the drinks break, Jack Lingard made the crucial breakthrough as he bowled both batsmen in quick succession, breaking one of the stumps in the process.
This sparked a batting collapse with Karl Harris and Nicky Shepherd both taking wickets, before Liam Conroy finished the innings off with two wickets in two balls, leaving the home side 24 runs short of the Thetford total.
The champagne bottles were then cracked open for the Thetford team as they celebrated what has been a fine season for the young team.