Thetford Town beaten as leaders Felixstowe & Walton score injury time goal
- Credit: Photo:Stan Baston
Thetford Town suffered late misery on Saturday when an late goal from Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division leaders Felixtsowe and Walton denied them what would have been a deserved point.
Miles Powell secured the win for the Seasiders deep into injury time with a rare moment of quality in a hard fought game.
Max Melanson had opened the scoring from the penalty spot for the visitors on 17 minutes, with Powell replying for the home side, also with a penalty kick, to take the sides into the interval all square.
A flying save from Will Viner in the Thetford goal to deny Chaplin with three minutes remaining looked to have secured a point for the visitors before Powell’s late strike.
New signing Regan Pelling made an early impression with Viner safely behind a shot from the edge of the area and Scott Chaplin close to converting Pelling’s cross in the opening minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Powell shot wide from 12 yards and Viner saved from Chaplin as Felixstowe made the early running before Thetford took the lead through Melanson from the spot after Davis had been adjudged to have handled the ball as he blocked Wood’s fierce shot.
On the half hour, Powell had the ball in the net Thetford net, after Kye Ruel’s initial shot had struck a post, but was denied by an offside flag. Powell was not to be denied two minutes before the break from the spot however after Chaplin had been brought down by Thetford captain Sam Bond.
- 1 Man charged with supplying Class A drugs in Thetford
- 2 Heavy rain prompts flood warnings as first snow forecast to fall
- 3 'He's a dear little dog' - Thieves steal family pet Arthur
- 4 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 5 Viking themed children's play area confirmed at town's historic park
- 6 Rough sleepers' plea to be 'kept inside' as council secures £635k funding
- 7 Man fractured partner’s cheekbone after making machete threat to sister
- 8 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 9 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 10 Shoppers support market town traders as second lockdown lifts
Crump saved well from Bailey as Thetford started the second half on the attack as a fast paced game, with no quarter asked or given, flowed end to end but without either keeper seriously threatened until Viner produced an excellent save to deny Chaplin’s shot, which was heading for the top corner.
The game looked to be heading towards a draw as the clock ticked over the 90 minute mark but in the fifth minute of time added on Powell received the ball on the edge of the area, and keeping a cool head, lifted the ball over Viner and into the vacant Thetford net to snatch all three points.
Thetford Town will be looking to bounce back on Saturday (3pm) when they welcome Saffron Walden Town to Mundford Road.