Thousands raised for charity on Thetford Golf Club’s captain’s day
- Credit: Submitted
Andy Dunn’s Captain’s Charity Day at Thetford GC raised more than £5,200 on the day when it was played in glorious sunshine.
There were prizes on every hole as well as an overall competition for the best two out of three scores.
This was won by a team led by Bill Sawings from Maylands GC along with Tony Noakes, John Sampson and Bob Powley with a total of 90 points.
They had seven birdies between them and came in with a better ball score of five under par.
Runners-up, on 85 points, was the Rookery Park quartet of Andrew Coleman, Bob Taylor, Mick Varley and Dwain Barber and third place went to Daniel Abrahams, Victor Abrahams, John Moore and Michael Hunter from Hainault with 83.
You may also want to watch:
The nearest the pin prizes went to Dave Norman (1st), Corrine Everett (3rd), Bill Sawings (11th) and Victor Abrahams (16th). A separate competition trying out a new hybrid club at the 16th for ladies and men was won by Debbi Jary and Tim Sims.
Other prize-winners were: 2nd hole Kevin Hawkins; 4th Peter Bangay; 5th John Sampson; 6th Sue Pitcher’s team; 7th Peter Bugg; 8th Corrine Everett; 9th Ged Davey; 10th Jonathan Reynolds; 12th Peter Ogden; 13th Raymond Stonnell’s team; 14th Sue Pitcher; 15th Mervyn Brain; 17th Steve Palmer; 18th John Ward.
- 1 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 2 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 8 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 9 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
- 10 Team GB athlete to inspire pupils to get healthy with visit to school
Thetford GC vice-captain Alan Brown won the Seniors Medal Championship with a fine score of 81-13-68. He won on countback from David Horsburgh, who returned 79-11-68.
Other scores: John Chapman 91-20-71, Peter Spencer 83-12-71, Frank Benn 92-21-71, Harold Ham 84-13-71, Brian Chadwick 83-11-72, Phil Halford 85-13-72, Jim Neal 93-21-72, Frank Dowling 88-15-73, Trevor Wignall 83-10-73, Robert Fletcher 83-10-73, David Edgar 93-20-73, Mike McBride 91-18-73, Chris Crimmen 94-21-73, John Balster 86-13-73.
The Carter Rose Bowls are awarded to the winners of a mixed greensomes Stableford, and this year Geoff and Dawn Dixon won with a score of 36 points on countback from Steve Cobb and Carolyn Beaumont. Sheena and Robert Setchell were third with 34, one ahead of Phil Beer and Kath Malvern.
Ladies’ March Stableford, Division One: Margo Horsburgh 38pts, Jan Bone 37, Heather Keeble 35. Division Two: Sandra Lester 37, Mary Neal 36, Judy Zannini 33. Division Three: Julia Leeson 37, Jean Howe 33, Val Cunningham 31.