Thetford Veterans beaten in County Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Town Veterans missed out on county glory when they were beaten by a Darren Huckerby- inspired Cringleford in the final of the Norfolk Veterans’ Cup.
Town gave a decent account of themselves in front of crowd of 226 at the FDC in Bowthorpe, but with the former Norwich City star turning on the style they returned home empty handed after a 3-1 defeat.
Goals from Huckerby, Matthew Metcalf and Rudi Hare saw Cringeford see off a second half comeback from Thetford, who did themselves proud after going in at the break 3-0 down.
Thetford started the brighter of the two sides, with striker Steve Davies pouncing on a defensive error but failing to find the net.
Cringleford hit back, with Huckerby jinking his way past two defenders before pulling his cross back to Matt Gill, another ex-Canary, who drilled his shot high and wide.
You may also want to watch:
Town struggled to get a foothold in the game thereafter, with Cringleford looking far more threatening. and they made the breakthrough in the 21st minute when Huckerby burst through before finishing neatly into the far corner.
Then a short corner was whipped into Metcalf who got across his defender and thumped a header into the roof of the net. Cringleford got their third goal minutes before half-time, with Hare in the right place at the right time to smash home a cross from close range.
- 1 Hope and caution - How Thetford is preparing to come out of lockdown
- 2 'He cried, I cried' - Loved ones reunited through care home's pilot test scheme
- 3 Friends pay tribute to war heroes with walking marathon effort
- 4 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 5 Arrest after man found with wooden baton and £30,000 in cash
- 6 A1066 to close for five more nights
- 7 How will Christmas grottos, nativities and carol singing go ahead?
- 8 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 9 Man fractured partner’s cheekbone after making machete threat to sister
- 10 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
Cringleford looked to build on their momentum after the interval, with Huckerby winning a free-kick in a dangerous area and then rattling the crossbar.
Town kept battling away however and reduced the arrears when substitute Morgan Crane got across his defender to glance home past the onrushing keeper, to the delight of the travelling fans.
Thetford almost pulled another one back following a goalmouth scramble after Davies’ effort was blocked while at the other John Sparrowhawk made a brilliant save to prevent Gill from making it four.
Thetford Town: Sparrowhawk, Stocks, Walsh, Crawshaw, Mleczck, Richards, Johnson, Taylor, Fowler, Davies, Tucker. Subs: Pritchford, Skipp, Crane, Wycherley, Kirk.