Thetford Veterans beaten in County Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Town Veterans missed out on county glory when they were beaten by a Darren Huckerby- inspired Cringleford in the final of the Norfolk Veterans’ Cup.
Town gave a decent account of themselves in front of crowd of 226 at the FDC in Bowthorpe, but with the former Norwich City star turning on the style they returned home empty handed after a 3-1 defeat.
Goals from Huckerby, Matthew Metcalf and Rudi Hare saw Cringeford see off a second half comeback from Thetford, who did themselves proud after going in at the break 3-0 down.
Thetford started the brighter of the two sides, with striker Steve Davies pouncing on a defensive error but failing to find the net.
Cringleford hit back, with Huckerby jinking his way past two defenders before pulling his cross back to Matt Gill, another ex-Canary, who drilled his shot high and wide.
You may also want to watch:
Town struggled to get a foothold in the game thereafter, with Cringleford looking far more threatening. and they made the breakthrough in the 21st minute when Huckerby burst through before finishing neatly into the far corner.
Then a short corner was whipped into Metcalf who got across his defender and thumped a header into the roof of the net. Cringleford got their third goal minutes before half-time, with Hare in the right place at the right time to smash home a cross from close range.
- 1 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 2 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
- 3 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 4 Cat left 'terrified' after being dumped next to road by driver
- 5 Gym becomes community hub with café and barber shop
- 6 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 7 The story of Mildenhall's workhouses uncovered after 100 years
- 8 Pretty town centre terrace is for sale by auction - and it needs doing up!
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 New community hub for Thetford after girl's terrifying attack
Cringleford looked to build on their momentum after the interval, with Huckerby winning a free-kick in a dangerous area and then rattling the crossbar.
Town kept battling away however and reduced the arrears when substitute Morgan Crane got across his defender to glance home past the onrushing keeper, to the delight of the travelling fans.
Thetford almost pulled another one back following a goalmouth scramble after Davies’ effort was blocked while at the other John Sparrowhawk made a brilliant save to prevent Gill from making it four.
Thetford Town: Sparrowhawk, Stocks, Walsh, Crawshaw, Mleczck, Richards, Johnson, Taylor, Fowler, Davies, Tucker. Subs: Pritchford, Skipp, Crane, Wycherley, Kirk.