Thetford Veterans beaten in County Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Town Veterans missed out on county glory when they were beaten by a Darren Huckerby- inspired Cringleford in the final of the Norfolk Veterans’ Cup.
Town gave a decent account of themselves in front of crowd of 226 at the FDC in Bowthorpe, but with the former Norwich City star turning on the style they returned home empty handed after a 3-1 defeat.
Goals from Huckerby, Matthew Metcalf and Rudi Hare saw Cringeford see off a second half comeback from Thetford, who did themselves proud after going in at the break 3-0 down.
Thetford started the brighter of the two sides, with striker Steve Davies pouncing on a defensive error but failing to find the net.
Cringleford hit back, with Huckerby jinking his way past two defenders before pulling his cross back to Matt Gill, another ex-Canary, who drilled his shot high and wide.
Town struggled to get a foothold in the game thereafter, with Cringleford looking far more threatening. and they made the breakthrough in the 21st minute when Huckerby burst through before finishing neatly into the far corner.
Then a short corner was whipped into Metcalf who got across his defender and thumped a header into the roof of the net. Cringleford got their third goal minutes before half-time, with Hare in the right place at the right time to smash home a cross from close range.
- 1 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 2 Village's closed pub could be turned into flats
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 5 This is when thunderstorms will hit Norfolk this week
- 6 Revealed: Some of the places you are most likely to spot ghosts in Norfolk
- 7 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Shed left destroyed after garden fire in west Suffolk
- 10 Firefighters remain on scene of huge forest fire near country park
Cringleford looked to build on their momentum after the interval, with Huckerby winning a free-kick in a dangerous area and then rattling the crossbar.
Town kept battling away however and reduced the arrears when substitute Morgan Crane got across his defender to glance home past the onrushing keeper, to the delight of the travelling fans.
Thetford almost pulled another one back following a goalmouth scramble after Davies’ effort was blocked while at the other John Sparrowhawk made a brilliant save to prevent Gill from making it four.
Thetford Town: Sparrowhawk, Stocks, Walsh, Crawshaw, Mleczck, Richards, Johnson, Taylor, Fowler, Davies, Tucker. Subs: Pritchford, Skipp, Crane, Wycherley, Kirk.