Thetford trio perform well at British Championships
- Credit: Submitted
Three martial arts competitors from Thetford enjoyed success at the Tae Kwon-Do Association of Great Britain (TAGB) British Championships.
The event was held at the Derby Arena and included three Thetford members of Mark Farnham Schools of Tae Kwon-Do in action.
With 20 fighting areas running throughout the day, with around 1,300 competitors and more than 400 officials, the competition is the biggest of the Tae Kwon-Do year.
Mark Farnham Schools had 62 students and 14 officials at the event, and in total with spectators, over 130 in attendance.
Competitors took part in pattern, sparring, destruction and team sparring events during the day and in total Mark Farnham Schools returned with 24 awards.
This included Thetford competitors Callum Palmer and Ruben Costa, as well as instructor Carl Grimes.
Plamer finished first in patterns and third in sparring in the Cadet Males Red Belt category and Costa was third in sparring in Men’s Blue Belt. Grimes finished third in sparring for both the Executive Men’s Black Belt and Men’s Black Belt Team categories.
- 1 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 2 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 3 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 8 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
Chief instructor, Mark Farnham, said: “To win any award at this event is a very serious achievement, so we are very proud to have won these awards throughout our 14 schools.
“A very well done to all of the students who achieved these awards and a big thank you to all of the officials and spectators who took the journey to support us.”
The Thetford group meet at Breckland Leisure Centre, in Croxton Road, on Mondays. The junior beginners’ class, for five to 10 year olds, is held in the small hall between 5pm and 6pm. All other students meet in the main sports hall between 6.30pm and 8pm.
For further information, go to www.mftkd.co.uk.