Thetford Town turn attention to cup after sixth defeat on the trot
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Thetford Town will be aiming to get back to winning ways on Saturday after slumping to a sixth successive defeat at the weekend.
Town were beaten 2-0 at Godmanchester Rovers, with two first half goals settling the issue and sending them down to 12th in the table.
The team’s fine start to the campaign, which saw them win four of their first five games, seems like a distant memory - and it’s perhaps no bad thing that they now take a two-week break from the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division to focus on knock-out action.
Town are home to Anglian Combination Premier Division pacesetters Harleston Town in the Norfolk Senior Cup second round on Saturday (1.30pm) and have home advantage again the following weekend (October 21) when they take on Debenham LC in the first round of the FA Vase.
The loss at Godmanchester was their second on the road in the space of five days following a 2-1 defeat at lowly Kirkley the previous Tuesday evening.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Williams prodded home from close range on the stroke of half-time to give the Royals the lead, only for Robbie Priddle to equalise for Thetford seven minutes into the second half.
The hosts soon got their noses back in front however when Kyle Baker marked his return from injury with a goal after good work by Miguel Lopez and they survived the 80th minute dismissal of Jordan Haverson for a second yellow card to take all three points.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 3 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 4 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 5 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 6 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 7 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 8 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 9 Sex abuse survivor hits out at attacker's sentence
- 10 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
Meanwhile Bridgham United won 4-2 at Dereham Taverners Reserves 2 in their latest league match.
The visitors found themselves 1-0 down after 15 minutes and things got worse when a shot from the home side got through keeper Alan Palmer for 2-0.
Just on half-time Bridgham pulled it back to 2-1 when Tom Wood scored and they then upped their game and made it 2-2 as Jack Green finished superbly after a good pass from Connor McCartney.
Four minutes later Bridgham took the lead when Wood scored his second as he fired home after a pass from Tom Cusack for 3-2.
Michael Watts then fired in a shot that hit both posts before going into the net to complete the scoring.