Thetford Town start season with victory at FC Clacton
- Credit: Submitted
Thetford Town got off to a flying start with a 2-1 victory at FC Clacton on the opening weekend of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division season.
The result was a reversal of the result on the final day of last season, when the Brecklanders finished just clear of the relegation places.
The victory came despite Mark Scott’s squad having only 11 players, including James Pipe and Sam Bryant who are still coming back from injury.
This showed right from kick-off when a good cross from Bryant found the head of James Dean only for the striker to put the ball just wide.
Halen Smith and Ryan Skipp both cleared off the line, before James Pipe ran onto a great cross from Skipp from the right and knocked the ball past the keeper on the stroke of half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford then extended their lead after Skipp was brought down in the area. Sean O’Donnell’s penalty was saved but Alex McIntosh reacted quickest to score the rebound on 65 minutes.
Thetford began to tire and with 10 minutes left a bundle in the area saw Halen Smith booked, with Clacton scoring the resulting penalty, but Town held out for the win.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 5 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 8 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 9 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 10 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
Scott’s side played their first home match of the season last night when they hosted Walsham-le-Willows in the league.
On Friday they welcome Swaffham Town to Mundford Road for a derby clash in the FA Cup extra preliminary round, kicking off at 7.45pm.