Thetford Town start season with victory at FC Clacton
- Credit: Submitted
Thetford Town got off to a flying start with a 2-1 victory at FC Clacton on the opening weekend of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division season.
The result was a reversal of the result on the final day of last season, when the Brecklanders finished just clear of the relegation places.
The victory came despite Mark Scott’s squad having only 11 players, including James Pipe and Sam Bryant who are still coming back from injury.
This showed right from kick-off when a good cross from Bryant found the head of James Dean only for the striker to put the ball just wide.
Halen Smith and Ryan Skipp both cleared off the line, before James Pipe ran onto a great cross from Skipp from the right and knocked the ball past the keeper on the stroke of half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford then extended their lead after Skipp was brought down in the area. Sean O’Donnell’s penalty was saved but Alex McIntosh reacted quickest to score the rebound on 65 minutes.
Thetford began to tire and with 10 minutes left a bundle in the area saw Halen Smith booked, with Clacton scoring the resulting penalty, but Town held out for the win.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 3 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 4 Drugs most often seized by Norfolk police revealed
- 5 US servicemen commemorate death of RAF Lakenheath pilot in crash tragedy
- 6 Six figure commitment agreed to pursue Suffolk bus improvement strategy
- 7 Care home creates mini golf course in its garden
- 8 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 9 School praised for 'effective action' to address serious failings
- 10 Should Covid jabs be made mandatory for care home workers?
Scott’s side played their first home match of the season last night when they hosted Walsham-le-Willows in the league.
On Friday they welcome Swaffham Town to Mundford Road for a derby clash in the FA Cup extra preliminary round, kicking off at 7.45pm.