Thetford Town start pre-season with Dersingham win and Wroxham loss
Thetford Town have started their pre-season schedule with a win and a defeat against local teams.
They began with a 2-1 home win against Anglian Combination Premier Division side Dersingham Rovers last Wednesday.
Mark Scott’s side then followed that with a 2-0 loss at the Recreation Ground to higher-level opponents Wroxham, who play in Ryman North.
The first half against Dersingham saw three new signings line-up alongside last season’s regulars. The Brecklanders started brightly with a goal on the 10-minute mark, when a 20-yard strike from Bruno Tavares beat the keeper.
Town played quick, passing football, leaving Dersingham chasing shadows. Luke Catchpole put the ball just the wrong side of the post, Ryan Skipp forced the keeper to make a good save and a Luke Bailey shot hit the post.
Scott made several changes during the break, and the second half gave six new players a chance to show they could make the first team next season.
Dersingham pulled a goal back, before Halen Smith went close with strong header. Thetford’s hard work then paid off when new signing Mihails Propustins scored with a header from a corner to make the final score 2-1.
- 1 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 2 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 3 'He's done it again!': Bowler's delight after going viral for a second time
- 4 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
- 5 Breckland builder dumped toilet cisterns and bathroom items in front garden
- 6 Delays in west Suffolk town after faulty barrier at railway crossing
- 7 Husband sues hospital over 'medical neglect' death of wife
- 8 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 9 Town centre's new café... with a difference
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
On Friday, Wroxham took the lead on the half-hour mark and then doubled their lead with a free-kick from the edge of the area with virtually the last kick of the half.
Catchpole went close in the second half and an effort from Skipp beat the keeper only for a Wroxham defender to clear the ball off the line, for a final score of 2-0 to the visitors.
Thetford continue pre-season against Great Yarmouth Town tomorrow night, from 7.45pm.