Thetford Town start pre-season with Dersingham win and Wroxham loss
Thetford Town have started their pre-season schedule with a win and a defeat against local teams.
They began with a 2-1 home win against Anglian Combination Premier Division side Dersingham Rovers last Wednesday.
Mark Scott’s side then followed that with a 2-0 loss at the Recreation Ground to higher-level opponents Wroxham, who play in Ryman North.
The first half against Dersingham saw three new signings line-up alongside last season’s regulars. The Brecklanders started brightly with a goal on the 10-minute mark, when a 20-yard strike from Bruno Tavares beat the keeper.
Town played quick, passing football, leaving Dersingham chasing shadows. Luke Catchpole put the ball just the wrong side of the post, Ryan Skipp forced the keeper to make a good save and a Luke Bailey shot hit the post.
You may also want to watch:
Scott made several changes during the break, and the second half gave six new players a chance to show they could make the first team next season.
Dersingham pulled a goal back, before Halen Smith went close with strong header. Thetford’s hard work then paid off when new signing Mihails Propustins scored with a header from a corner to make the final score 2-1.
- 1 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 2 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 3 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 6 A11 reopens following earlier collision
- 7 Team GB athlete to inspire pupils to get healthy with visit to school
- 8 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 9 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
- 10 Man found near air base with gun, axe and lock knife sentenced
On Friday, Wroxham took the lead on the half-hour mark and then doubled their lead with a free-kick from the edge of the area with virtually the last kick of the half.
Catchpole went close in the second half and an effort from Skipp beat the keeper only for a Wroxham defender to clear the ball off the line, for a final score of 2-0 to the visitors.
Thetford continue pre-season against Great Yarmouth Town tomorrow night, from 7.45pm.