Thetford Town record away win to maintain bright start to season
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Town maintained their bright start to the season on Saturday when they recorded a fourth win in five matches in the Premier Division of the Thurlow Nunn League.
Town won 2-0 at FC Clacton, with a third minute goal from Robbie Priddle setting them on their way and a late strike from Tanner Call wrapping up the victory.
The result took the Brecklanders up to second in the table, with their only setback in the league so far coming at Gorleston where they conceded a last minute goal to lose 2-1.
Town were set to play Kirkley and Pakefield at Mundford Road on Tuesday evening while next up is a trip to Saffron Walden Town, who have won just one of their opening four games, on Saturday (3pm). Meanwhile Swaffham Town bowed out of the FA Cup at the second hurdle on Saturday, slipping to a 3-1 defeat at a Bedford Town who play two leagues higher than them.
It all could have been different, however, with Joe Jackson smashing in a volley from 20 yards at the mid-point of the first half. It was clearly heading for the top right hand corner but the Bedford keeper, with the save of the game, turned it round for a corner.
You may also want to watch:
An injury to left-back Alan Woodcock then saw Jake Platten replace him. Platten himself is just returning from injury and got some unexpected minutes from the game.
Bedford went one up in the last minute of the first half, with their attacker given too much space to run into.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 5 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
The Eagles made it two on 64 minutes and put the game to bed with a third nine minutes from time. Swaffham earned a well deserved consolation goal in the 88th minute, Alex Vincent shooting from 18 yards, the ball being spilt by the keeper, and Blake Stangroome, who was following up, netting from 12 yards.
The Pedlars left the Eyrie in good spirits, knowing that they had given their all and represented the town in good fashion.
Swaffham were due to return to Thurlow Nunn League Division One action on Tuesday evening at Diss Town before taking on neighbours Downham Town in a local derby at Shoemakers Lane on Friday evening (7.45pm).