Thetford Town ready for kick-off after friendly win against AFC Sudbury
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2013
The waiting is almost over for Thetford Town, after the Brecklanders were victorious in their final pre-season game.
Town hosted a mixture of under-18 and reserve players from Ryman Division One North side AFC Sudbury at Mundford Road on Monday night and won 4-0.
A brace from Sam Bryant and a goal apiece for Sean O’Donnell and James Dean sealed the success for Thetford, ahead of their season starting properly on Saturday.
Mark Scott’s side begin their Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier Division campaign against the same team they played on the final day of last season, FC Clacton.
That match, in Essex, finished in a 2-1 defeat to Thetford and was a hectic affair which saw goalkeeper Scott Cruickshank taken off with an injured wrist, a red card for Elliot Smith and injuries to James Pipe and Luke Bailey.
In spite of that defeat, the Brecklanders finished 16th and managed to survive a tense relegation battle, finishing above Ely in the table courtesy of a very slightly better goal difference of minus 35.
Only Woodbridge were relegated in the end however, with Diss and Wivenhoe given relegation reprieves due to the league’s reorganisation.
- 1 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 2 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 3 More F-35 squadrons to be stationed in Suffolk to boost US presence
- 4 Remarkable life of the Duleep Singhs explored in new exhibition
- 5 Pair accused of dangerous driving on A11 set for court
- 6 Try roasties topped with pulled pork at town’s new street food business
- 7 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 8 Chase Star to perform at Thetford comedy club
- 9 What the average Norfolk house price can buy you in the county's towns
- 10 First cases of monkeypox reported in Suffolk
Thetford start with a trip to Clacton on Saturday (3pm kick-off) before hosting Walsham-le-Willows on Tuesday night and local rivals Swaffham Town next Friday night in the FA Cup extra-preliminary round (both 7.45pm).