Thetford Town poised to host Wisbech in FA Vase

Acle Ladies beat Writtle 6-2 in the Eastern Region Women's Premier Division at the weekend. Picture:

Acle Ladies beat Writtle 6-2 in the Eastern Region Women's Premier Division at the weekend. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Thetford Town set up an intriguing home tie against Wisbech Town in the second round of the FA Vase after winning their first round replay at Debenham LC 2-0.

Town took charge of last week’s battle between Thurlow Nunn League teams by scoring twice in two minutes in the first half.

Skipper Sam Bond opened the scoring by blasting home in the 27th minute and in virtually their next attack Thetford scored again, Max Melanson finding the back of the net from 25 yards.

The visitors went on to complete victory with few alarms and can now look forward to welcoming Gary Setchell’s Wisbech Town to Mundford Road on Saturday, November 11.

The Fenmen, who play in the United Counties League, are unbeaten since Setchell took charge earlier this season and are likely to bring a decent following with them.

Town will be hoping for a good home turn-out too as they go looking for a place in the last 64 of the national competition.

Thetford were unable to follow up their Vase success with an overdue league win on Saturday.

Most Read

Their slide down the Premier Division table continued when they lost 2-0 at Ely City with two goals in the opening quarter doing the damage.

Ely went ahead on 12 minutes when Sam Goodge followed up to score after Kingsley Barnes had saved a penalty and got a second 10 minutes later through Alex Theobald.

Thetford have two home games to look forward to before they host Wisbech - against Wivenhoe on Saturday (3pm) and Wroxham on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

Meanwhile Bridgham beat Narborough Reserves 6-0 in the Ben Smith Cup second round. They scored after after 30 seconds when Jack Bailey set up Jason Conroy and stretched their lead when a Narborough player turned Bailey’s cross into his own net.

Conroy’s superb free-kick made it 3-0 after Jody Twomey had been fouled and two minutes later it was 4-0 when a great pass from Simon Sutcliffe found Conroy who completed his hat-trick. Second half goals from Jack Green and Conroy completed an emphatic win, with stand-in keeper Ben Mannion having little to do.