Thetford Town make an early exit from the FA Cup

Connor Ingram pokes home a dramatic injury-time winner as Gorleston beat Thetford Town 2-1 in their

Connor Ingram pokes home a dramatic injury-time winner as Gorleston beat Thetford Town 2-1 in their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division opener at Emerald Park on Tuesday evening. Picture: David Hardy - Credit: Archant

Thetford Town will be looking to bounce back at the weekend after suffering two narrow defeats in the space of five days.

Town conceded a late goal in midweek to go down 2-1 at Gorleston in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division before losing 3-2 at Eynesbury Rovers to bow out the the FA Cup at the first hurdle.

They were two bitter blows after an excellent 3-1 win at Stanway Rovers in the league opener and Thetford will now be trying to get back on track at Long Melford on Saturday.

Danny White’s team were 1-0 down at the break at the weekend and, after conceding again on the hour mark, quickly got themselves back in the game through Tanner Call.

Unfortunately for the visitors Rovers then made it 3-1 with a third goal in the space of five minutes and Tanner’s second on 89 minutes was no more than a consolation.

At Gorleston the previous Tuesday Town started brightly and Alex Stillinger nodded the ball over the keeper but it bounced back off the post. Gorleston regrouped and, after 15 minutes, hit the woodwork themselves with a Mitch McKay free-kick.

The hosts found the net three minutes before the break. A corner into the six yard box was headed clear where it was collected by Connor Deeks who drilled it back through a crowd of players and in off the far post.

Most Read

If the Greens had the edge in the first half then it was Thetford who bossed the second.

The equaliser came in the 54th minute. Bradley Sandell was given far too much space to measure his cross into the near post where Stillinger arrived unchecked to nod home.

Five minutes later the Greens came close to regaining the lead when Fatadjo’s side foot bounced away off the crossbar.

As the game entered stoppage time it looked as if it would end as a draw, which would have been a fair result. Then Jay Turner, who had replaced McKay to become the third debutant of the night, lifted the ball towards the back post. Keeper Kingsley Barnes looked to have the situation under control but the ball slipped from his grasp and fell nicely for poacher Connor Ingram to tap in the winner from a yard out.