Thetford Town impress in friendlies
THETFORD TOWN continued their build up towards their return to the top division of the Eastern Counties League with a 3-1 friendly win over a Needham Market XI.
The Ryman League Division One club sent a young team to Mundford Road, but one Thetford manager Mark Scott described as “very impressive with lots of technically gifted players.”
But goals from three of last season’s promotion winning heroes – Matt Dixon, Steve Harley and Volta Rocha – secured another morale boosting win for Thetford.
The Brecklanders went on to draw 0-0 with Wroxham on Tuesday night and now have just one more friendly booked – at home to Downham Town on Tuesday, July 31 – before kicking off their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division campaign at home to Wivenhoe Town on Saturday, August 4.
Scott has several new signings in the pipeline to improve the depth of his squad for the Premier Division challenge, but the one he rates as “the big one” is former Needham Market left-back Ben Wake, who has joined from Clacton.
“Ben has good experience and is a great character to have around,” said Scott. “He will be a good addition.”
Thetford, meanwhile, have announced the Mundford Road admission prices for the new season.
- 1 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 5 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 6 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 7 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Power tools stolen after van broken into
Season tickets, which include entry to all reserve as well as first team games, cost �95 (�48 for conessions).
Match day prices are �5 for adults / �3 concessions for first team games and �3/�1 for reserves. Anyone wanting to buy a season ticket should contact club secretary Bob Riches on email@example.com.
The recent Thetford Town annual meeting confirmed the following officers for the news season: President Mrs Jean Nixon, Chairman Mick Bailey, Vice Chairman Nigel Armes, Secretary Bob Richards, Treasurer Jane Richards, Welfare Officer Sara Bolton, General Committee – Steve Dick, Mark Bolton, Trevor Coleman, Ian Brown, Richard Neighbour, Jeff Hyne and Lesley Coombs.
Swaffham begin their new Eastern Counties League campaign at Saffron Walden Town on Saturday, August 11.
Before then the Pedlars have no shortage of friendlies to get them up to speed.
They started at RAF Marham last night and continue at home to Haverhill Leisure Centre on Saturday (kick off 3pm).
Thurlow Nunn Premier Division club Gorleston are the visitors to Shoemakers Lane next Tuesday (7.45pm) with a visit to Anglian Combination team Reepham on the Thursday (7.30pm).
Huntingdon are the visitors on Tuesday, July 31 before Yaxley at home on Saturday, August 4 (3pm).