Thetford Town handed home draws in FA Cup and FA Vase qualifiers
Thetford Town have been handed home draws in both the FA Cup and FA Vase for the new season.
The Brecklanders have been handed a derby clash against Swaffham Town in the FA Cup extra-preliminary round, which will be played at Mundford Road on Saturday, August 16.
If Thetford can beat their lower level local rivals then they could face another Norfolk side in the preliminary round. Victory would mean another home tie, potentially against Norwich United on Saturday, August 30, if the Planters beat Deeping Rangers.
Another victory for Thetford would then seal another home tie in the first qualifying round, scheduled for Saturday, September 13, against the winner of Sleaford Town or Wisbech Town or Kirkley & Pakefield or Ely City.
Mark Scott’s side have also been handed home advantage in the first qualifying round of the FA Vase, against Ely City, on Saturday, September 6.
Victory in that match would earn a trip to Peterborough Sports in the second qualifying round on Saturday, October 4 – all of which provides plenty for the Brecklanders to look forward to ahead of the start of the new season. Of course first they must get back to match fitness, as they attempt to improve on finishing 16th in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division last season, winning just seven of their 38 matches.
Pre-season training got under way on June 23 ahead of Town playing their first friendly match last night, at home against Anglian Combination Premier Division side Dersingham Rovers.
- 1 Train delays as lorry hits railway bridge
- 2 Police search for owner of puppy lost near Mildenhall
- 3 Crowdfunder for terminally ill mum to fulfil dream of marrying partner
- 4 Concerns raised over plans for holiday cabins at equestrian centre
- 5 Final consultation to be undertaken on future of Thetford Market Place
- 6 'She was the glue' - Family's loving tribute to devoted mum Netty
- 7 Rare chance to rent a 16th century farmhouse overlooking a Norfolk estate
- 8 Five-year-old child struck by car in Brandon discharged from hospital
- 9 Motorbike and car crash on A134 near Norfolk village
- 10 Catalytic converters stolen from three cars in Mildenhall in one night
The standard will step up on Friday night though, when Ryman North side Wroxham come to Mundford Road, in a 7.45pm kick-off.
The new league season begins on Saturday, August 9 for Thetford, although the full fixtures have not yet been confirmed.
Christmas fixtures have been announced though, with Town travelling to Diss Town for a 3pm kick-off on Saturday, December 27, and a groundhopper day on Saturday, March 14, which brings Norwich United to Mundford Road for a midday kick-off.
• Friday, July 11 – Wroxham (H) 7.45pm
• Thursday, July 15 – Mundford (H) 7.30pm
• Thursday, July 17 – Great Yarmouth Town (H) 7.45pm
• Friday, July 25 – Haverhill Borough (A)
• Friday, August 7 – AFC Sudbury (H) 7.45pm