Thetford Town get back to winning ways in league with 6-0 romp
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Town put a run of seven straight Thurlow Nunn League defeats behind them in emphatic fashion on Saturday when they hammered bottom side Wivenhoe Town 6-0.
The hosts got off to a flying start when, in the third minute, midfielder Max Melanson fired home from the edge of the box to open the scoring.
With winger Ben Anderson causing all sorts of problems to the defenders, Thetford continued to dominate and doubled their lead in the 12th minute as centre back Ryan Sanders produced a cool finish from a corner.
Tanner Call then hit the post with a diving header from a good cross in by Anderson before the third goal arrived in the 36th minute after Anderson dribbled past his defender to cross to Robbie Priddle who finished into the bottom corner.
Thetford were all over their opponents in the first half and Call made it 4-0 just before half-time after dribbling past the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
At the start of the second half Thetford carried on with the same intensity and it became 5-0 in the 55th minute after another good run from Anderson and a cool finish from Call.
Wivenhoe were still pushing to score a goal as they held on to the ball more frequently than they did in the first half, while the hosts were looking to play counter-attacking football.
- 1 Hope and caution - How Thetford is preparing to come out of lockdown
- 2 'He cried, I cried' - Loved ones reunited through care home's pilot test scheme
- 3 Friends pay tribute to war heroes with walking marathon effort
- 4 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 5 Arrest after man found with wooden baton and £30,000 in cash
- 6 A1066 to close for five more nights
- 7 How will Christmas grottos, nativities and carol singing go ahead?
- 8 Man fractured partner’s cheekbone after making machete threat to sister
- 9 Start date for phase two of 5,000-home development, after land bought near A11
- 10 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
The intensity dropped as the Thetford players and the crowd knew the game was won but there was one final goal from the home team.
It came in the 88th minute as Wood passed it to Call who simply had to tap the ball in the back of the net to complete his hat-trick.
It was a second straight win for Thetford, who made progress in the League Cup the previous Tuesday evening.
They beat Division One outfit Norwich CBS - formerly Spixworth - 3-0 with Ross Beech opening the scoring early on and two late goals from Priddle settling the issue.
There should be a decent crowd at Mundford Road for some national knock-out action this Saturday when Thetford entertain well supported Wisbech Town in the second proper of the FA Vase.
Gary Setchell’s side, who play in the United Counties League, are unbeaten since the former King’s Lynn boss took charge earlier this season. They moved into the top five with a 2-0 win over Desborough Town at the weekend.
Saturday’s tie kicks off at 3pm.