Thetford Town lose League Cup final dress rehearsal - but White says it’s rough justice
- Credit: Archant
Despite two defeats in the last week Thetford Town manager Danny White is upbeat about the way his team is playing.
The Brecklanders were beaten 3-0 at Hadleigh United in midweek and followed this by suffering a 3-1 reverse at to Brantham Athletic on Saturday.
A well worked Andrew Wood goal put Town in front before Brantham turned the game around. White didn’t think the scoreline reflected the way the game panned out,
“For 70 minutes we were in control of the game,” he said. “We had some very good attacking play, the referee dismissed a blatant penalty on Ben Anderson at 1-1 and they managed to get their noses in front.
“We pushed on and he gave them a dubious penalty which was converted making it 3-1. I am really disappointed with the result as we were the better side again,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
The two teams will meet again next month at Diss Town’s Brewers Green Lane in the League Cup final and White has asked the people of the town to get behind his team,
“We really need people to come over and get behind the lads at the final,” he said. “It makes a huge difference, they really can be our 12th man. If we get enough interest we will put on a supporter’s coach,” he said.
- 1 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 2 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 5 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 9 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 10 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
The result leaves Thetford in 13th place but only three points behind 10th placed Newmarket Town with four leagues game left to play.
Town face an away trip to Fakenham this Wednesday evening (7.45pm) before playing sixth placed Histon at home on Saturday (3pm).
White also revealed that the majority of his side have committed to the club for next season, describing it as great news, and has been impressed with the improvement shown by two of his squad this season,
“Dane Coomber-Willis has really improved this season, and has been excellent playing in many different positions and we have Bradley Sandell, who is only 17 years old but has great potential and playing more regular first team football season is helping him,” he said.
Anyone wishing to book a place on the club coach for the League Cup final on Monday May 7 (3pm) should contact Danny White for more information (email@example.com or text/phone 07789934181). The cost is £10.