Thetford Town bow out of FA Cup at first hurdle after 1-0 home defeat
- Credit: Archant
It was a disappointing Saturday evening for Thetford Town as they were eliminated at the first stage of the FA Cup.
A single goal decided the tie against Rothwell Corinthians, from Northamptonshire but the scoreline doesn't reflect that Thetford were second best for much of the game.
It was a rarity, and perhaps a first, at Mundford Road for a game to played on a Saturday evening.
With the town's cricket team playing on the adjoining field during the daytime, and the risk of a well struck six landing on the football pitch, the kick off was pushed back from the usual 3pm.
Town never found any rhythm to their play and for a team that is committed to a passing game, it is difficult to recall more than couple of occasions where Thetford put more than two passes together in succession. Rothwell, who play at the same level of the non league pyramid, were more physical and quicker to the ball throughout and never gave Town a second to settle on the ball.
You may also want to watch:
The decisive goal came in the 21st minute when Craig Maisiri finished convincingly from the corner of the six yard box, after a deflected shot fell kindly into his path.
It took until the 61st minute for Thetford's first effort of note. Robbie Priddle released Dylan Edge in the inside right channel and the striker rounded the goalkeeper but two defenders blocked his path to goal and his effort from the edge of the area sailed over the bar. Frustratingly for Town, Liam Hemming was available in space to his left with an empty goal to aim at.
- 1 Man charged with supplying Class A drugs in Thetford
- 2 Heavy rain prompts flood warnings as first snow forecast to fall
- 3 'He's a dear little dog' - Thieves steal family pet Arthur
- 4 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 5 Viking themed children's play area confirmed at town's historic park
- 6 Rough sleepers' plea to be 'kept inside' as council secures £635k funding
- 7 Man fractured partner’s cheekbone after making machete threat to sister
- 8 Shoppers support market town traders as second lockdown lifts
- 9 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 10 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
Ross Bailey's arrival from the bench gave Thetford a spark in the last ten minutes as he gave Town some much needed energy and started to circulate the ball. It was Town's best spell and Elliot Smith struck the crossbar from close range late on from Harry Hutt's cutback but ultimately Thetford can have few complaints at their elimination.
Thetford return to Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division action on Saturday with a visit Stanway Rovers. The next home game is against Godmanchester Rovers next Tuesday evening (7.45pm).
Thetford: Viner, Morton, L.Bailey, Sanders, Cusack (R.Bailey), Smith (C), Melanson, Sandell (Conroy), Hemming, Priddle (Hutt), Edge.