Thetford Town start season with win thanks to touch of class from Sandell
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Town got their season off to a perfect start with a 2-1 victory against Walsham-Le-Willows on Friday evening as Mundford Road hosted the opening Thurlow Nunn League game of the new campaign.
A moment of genuine quality settled a highly competitive game in Thetford's favour. Up until the 44th minute Bradley Sandell had been on the periphery of the game, but when the ball dropped to him on the edge of the penalty area, the 18-year-old expertly adjusted his body shape to produce a controlled scissor-kick finish which nestled in the top left hand corner of the Walsham net.
Up to that point the game had swung from end to end, with both teams, and especially the visitors, committed to moving the ball around swiftly on a lush surface.
After an early scare when Ryan Clark broke clear of the Town defence only to fire weakly at Will Viner in the home goal, the home side took the lead in the 12th minute through debutant Liam Hemming.
The winger, a threat all night cutting in from the left hand side, was given freedom to work his way across the visitors' 18 yard box unchallenged before coolly placing his finish past out of position Walsham keeper Steve Fenner.
You may also want to watch:
Walsham drew level in the 23rd minute, Craig Nurse scoring with a well struck 20 yard strike which flew into the top corner.
As is typical at this level, the second half didn't match the first as bodies and minds tired. Chances were at a premium until the last 10 minutes when Town had to withstand a sustained spell of pressure.
- 1 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 2 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 5 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 6 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 7 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 8 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees
- 9 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
- 10 Retired firefighter looks back at four-day Thetford factory blaze 30 years on
Viner made a couple of smart saves and Nurse was inches away from connecting with a low cross which whizzed across the six yard box.
It was a game which in previous seasons Town may have dropped points late on but on this occasion Viner was well supported by the back four, all seasoned defenders who showed their defensive nous when they needed to keep the visitors at bay.
This Saturday Town host Rothwell Corinthians from Northamptonshire in an FA Cup preliminary round tie. This is an evening kick-off, with the tie getting under way at 7.30pm. The following Tuesday evening Town are back in league action at Haverhill Rovers.
Team: Viner, Morton, Smith (c), L.Bailey, Cusack, R.Bailey (Hutt), Melanson, Gibson (Bond), Sandell, Edge (Priddle), Hemming. Attendance: 205.