Thetford Town sunk by late free-kick at The Wellesley


- Credit: Archant

Thetford Town lost 1-0 at relegation threatened Great Yarmouth Town on Friday evening, with a late free-kick settling the issue.

The visitors started well and went close early on when a ferocious volley from the onrushing Elliott Gibson was brilliantly stopped by Charlie Beckwith, which turned out to be one of many fine saves on the night.

Thetford forced another fine save when a free-kick on the halfway line was fired diagonally into the Yarmouth box, which in turn was headed back across goal, where Valta Rocha fired a volley goalwards, only to see Beckwith push it over the bar.

Then the referee pulled back play for a free-kick in the Yarmouth half for a late tackle on Sean Perfect after he had played a ball in to Payton Swatman who was in the clear, which only resulted in a talking to with offender Jon Carver.

Just before half-time Beckwith was called into action again to deny Thetford again with another great save.

The second half saw both sides up the tempo going in search of the winner and Yarmouth, knowing a point probably wouldn’t be enough, grew into the game.

Lee Roots was introduced to bolster the attack utilising his pace, replacing the injured Charlie Blake, who was carrying a knock but still produced a dogged performance.

Most Read

With Aaron Sanders now moved into centre midfield, Yarmouth were creating more chances, with some great through balls from Sanders.

The next change saw Chris Holmes replace Perfect to add another threat in front of goal. With the game now in the balance, Thetford broke which saw a through ball find Rocha whose shot was again brilliantly saved by Beckwith, only for the linesman’s flag to go up.

The deadlock was finally broken on 83 minutes when Thetford conceded a free-kick around 25 yards out. Holmes and Swatman stood over the dead ball, both being lethal from this range, and it was Holmes who struck a low shot around the wall, just inside the post to beat the outstretched Will Viner in the Thetford goal. A huge roar went around the Wellesley as it hit the back of the net - and there was no way back for the visitors after that.

Town are without a game at the weekend and return to action on Saturday week at Hadleigh.