Thetford Town 1 Histon 2: Late penalty is a real heart-breaker for Town
- Credit: Archant
There was disappointment for Thetford Town on Friday evening as an injury time penalty saw them fall to defeat to Thurlow Nunn Premier League leaders Histon at Mundford Road.
Histon are as close to as a giant as you will find at this level. Just 10 seasons ago they were flying high in the Conference, aiming for promotion to the Football League.
The 2008/09 season was to be the club’s high point as they became beset with financial difficulties and a swift drop down the divisions followed. The club now find themselves in a stable place financially as they attempt to rise again up the non league pyramid and they brought over 100 supporters with them on Friday.
For the majority of the game Thetford were more than a match for their opponents, who have tasted defeat in the league only twice this season.
The first half was tight and fiercely competitive, but lacking in quality and goalscoring chances. Surprisingly given Histon’s fine season there was a lack of sophistication to their play as they adopted a direct approach, their main threat coming from a succession of corners and long throws. Thetford’s defence stood up well to the physical battle.
You may also want to watch:
For all Town’s hard work in the first half they will have been disappointed to have conceded such a soft opening goal early in the second period. They failed to deal with a long Lewis McDonald throw in and an unmarked Ed Rolph headed in from close range.
Thetford drew level in the 63rd minute. Harry Hutt sprayed an inch perfect cross pitch pass to Sam Bond who, following a neat one-two, drilled a low cross into the area. It took a nasty bobble off the surface but should have been a routine collect for Sam Roach but the goalkeeper misjudged the cross and it bounced off his arm into the bottom left hand corner. It was a stroke of luck but reward for Bond, who epitomised Thetford’s fight and desire on the evening.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 5 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 10 Town planning for future of theatre and swimming pool at historic convent
The half continued in much the same way as the first with limited chances and a draw looked a fair outcome until the visitors were awarded a penalty in the first minute of injury time. Evan Key was nudged at the back post and from the penalty spot Matt York sent Will Viner the wrong way to break Thetford hearts.
Thetford make the short trip to Newmarket on Saturday (3pm).
Team: Viner, S.Bond, Morton, Carver, L Bailey, Coomber-Willis, Gibson (T Rocha), Hutt, Sandell (Castro), V Rocha, Priddle.