Thetford Town 3 Gorleston 0: White all smiles as Town get back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
Six successive defeats had left Thetford Town looking uncomfortably over their shoulder towards the relegation places - but on Saturday they collected a welcome three points with a comfortable win.
Town boss Danny White was relieved rather than surprised at the result, saying: “We have been playing well for weeks, coming off the pitch after each game wondering how we haven’t picked up any points.
“It was a big three points for us and we thoroughly deserved the win.”
Elliot Gibson, making his second appearance since returning to the club, set Thetford on their way with an early 30 yard strike before he assisted Valter Rocha, who scored his 21st goal of the season to send Thetford into the interval with a comfortable lead.
White expressed his delight in having Gibson return to his first team squad following a spell playing for Thetford Rovers.
You may also want to watch:
“We all admire Elliot here, we are delighted to have him back as he has great potential. His goal today was excellent.”
One benefit of numerous departures from the club this season has been the opportunities afforded to young players who have developed through the Town’s youth teams. On Saturday, Town had 20-year-old Gibson, and two teenagers in Bradley Sandell and Harry Hutt supporting Rocha in attack. All three are undoubtedly talented, with quick feet and footballing minds.
- 1 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 2 Repeat offender given £600 fine for fly-tipping next to public bin
- 3 Woman in 80s suffers 'life-changing' injuries in collision
- 4 Noise warning issued amid RAF Lakenheath flight training
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 7 Candidate says 7,000 rejected ballots shows PCC voting system flawed
- 8 Man stole bicycle from outside town shop
- 9 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 10 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
Thetford’s third goal came in the last 10 minutes with Robbie Priddle firing home from Rocha’s cross. The long serving Priddle has had a stop start season due to injury and RAF commitments but Town fans were delighted to see the striker returning to the scoresheet.
White was full of praise for his back four, who kept a first clean sheet since November 24, and was particularly impressed with Hutt, a lively winger, describing his performance as excellent.
Thetford are now six points clear of the relegation zone, and will be aiming for another three pointson Saturday when they visit Framlingham Town, who sit adrift at the bottom of Thurlow Nunn Premier Division (3pm).
The following Saturday, January 26, Thetford will be seeking revenge when they play Wymondham Town, who sit 26 places below them in the non-league pyramid, in a Norfolk Senior Cup quarter-final tie. Last season at the same stage and location Town were bundled out of the competition following a 2-1 extra time defeat.
Thetford Town: Viner, Coomber-Willis, Morton, Clarke, L Bailey, Smith (capt), C Rocha, Sandell (Priddle), Gibson (McIntosh), Hutt, V Rocha.