Thetford Town 1 Kirkley & Pakefield 2: Defensive errors prove costly as Town lose again

Thetford Town player manager Danny White was on target against Kirkley & Pakefield Picture: Denise B

Thetford Town player manager Danny White was on target against Kirkley & Pakefield Picture: Denise Bradley - Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017

A bad defensive mistake from Thetford Town in each half handed Kirkley and Pakefield all three points at Mundford Road on Saturday.

The result saw Town end 2018 on a disappointing run, with the club having taken just one point from 18 during a tough December. However there have been enough positives of late to suggest a return to winning ways is imminent.

For large parts of the game Thetford were the better side against a team who started the day sitting just six points off the top of the table.

Town’s costly errors came from two players who stand out with their reliability and commitment to the club. Just six minutes had passed when Matt Morton steamed into an unnecessary challenge on the edge of the Town area for a clear penalty which was comfortably dispatched.

From then on Thetford were more than a match for their higher placed opponents, playing the more composed football and carving out a series of half chances. The best fell to manager Danny White, giving himself a rare start, set up by Valter Rocha, who side-footed an effort from 12 yards out that was too close to visiting keeper Adam Rix.

White, playing in an advanced role almost partnering Rocha in attack, deservedly drew Thetford level in the 63rd minute. A Ross Bailey pass was knocked on by Sam Bond into White’s path and the 35-year- old turned neatly before arrowing a fine low half volley into the corner of the net.

It looked like the home side had the momentum but just three minutes later another bad error cost them dearly when a simple back pass from left back Alex McIntosh slipped under Will Viner’s boot. The goalkeeper chased back in desperation but to no avail and Town were behind again.

Most Read

Thetford keep pushing with Alex Steed having a close range effort blocked and youngster Harry Hutt seeing a curling effort that looked likely to test Rix headed away but Town couldn’t grab a leveller.

The result sees Town slip to 17th in the table, just above the relegation zone.

They return to action with a game at Woodbridge Town on Saturday (3pm). The next home game is on January 12 (3pm) against Gorleston.

Thetford: Viner, S Bond (c), Morton, L.Bailey, McIntosh, Steed (Freitas), R.Bailey, White, Sandell, Hutt, V Rocha.

Town also lost 2-1 on Boxing Day, with hosts Walsham le Willows winning a tight game.

There was a lively start, with two goals in the first seven minutes. Top scorer Valter Rocha quickly headed Town in front, only for the hosts to get back on level terms almost immediately through a disputed penalty.

It was Walsham who went on to win it with a header from a corner five minutes into the second half.