Thetford Town 1 FC Clacton 3: Town punished for not taking chances


- Credit: Archant

Thetford Town were left to rue a host of missed first half chances as they fell to a home defeat to Clacton.

With Mundford Road bathed in early September sunshine, Town immediately took the initiative.

Within the first 10 minutes Andrew Wood had struck the post and Michael Campbell broke clear on goal, only to be denied by the hands of Joe Fowler as he attempted to round the Clacton goalkeeper.

Thetford were playing attractive football and took the lead when a Quevin Castro pass released Wood on the right of the penalty area. Fowler seemed to have misjudged his position and it left Wood with much of the goal empty to put Thetford into the lead.

Thetford had the beating of the Clacton defence and were creating chance after chance. They had created six clear-cut chances by the half hour mark and the game should have been out of Clacton’s reach.

The best opportunity fell to Wood who should have scored his second of the afternoon but following a perfect cross from marauding right back Sam Bond, Wood miskicked from six yards out with the goal at his mercy.

There was a warning for the home side in the 35th minute when Will Viner in Thetford’s goal needed to advance quickly from his line to smother an effort from Jake Plane. And two minutes later Clacton drew level when Plane struck a low shot from the edge of the area that went in off the post.

Most Read

There was still time for another gilt-edged chance for Thetford. Another fine Bond pass put Campbell through on goal but Fowler quickly closed the angle and Campbell overhit the ball as he tried to go around him.

Thetford found it much harder to carve out opportunities in the second period as Clacton presented a more resolute defensive unit. The sporadic half chances created from the home side were mainly from set-pieces.

With two of his three substitutes being defensive players there was few options available for Town manager Danny White to add some needed vibrancy to Town’s attacking play from the bench.

Two Clacton goals, the first in the 56th minute, a second for the impressive Plane, and in the 87th minute from Adam Hampson gave the Essex side three points. Both goals were clinically finished, a stark contrast to Thetford’s first half wastefulness in front of goal.

The result leaves Thetford eighth in the early Thurlow Nunn Premier League table after the weekend’s games. They visit Kirkley and Pakefield on Saturday (3pm).

Team: Viner, Bond (c), Morton, Carver, Snow (L Bailey), Rocha, R Bailey, Castro, Fancett (Coomber-Willis), Wood (Piggott).