Football: Thetford Town beat Saffron Walden 3-2 to move up to 12th
- Credit: Archant
A superb first half display from Thetford Town was enough to secure all three points against Saffron Walden at Mundford Road on Saturday.
Dale Coomber-Willis opened the scoring in the 28th minute with a header and less than 60 seconds later Max Melanson doubled Thetford’s advantage.
Melanson’s 25-yard strike made it 3-0 before Saffron Walden rallied in the second half and set up a nervy finish with two goals to make it 3-2 but Thetford held on for the win.
A 13th win of the season in the Premier Division of the Thurlow Nunn League lifted Thetford up to 12th in the table.
They take a break from league action on Saturday afternoon when they travel to Anglian Combination Division One underdogs Wymondham Town in the quarter-finals of the Norfolk Senior Cup (1.30pm).
They play again on Tuesday evening when Haverhill Borough travel to Mundford Road (7.45pm).
Elswehere management duo Jamie Godbold and Andy Reynolds continued their impressive start to life at Wroxham as the Yachtsmen hit Hadleigh for six at Trafford Park.
- 1 Roads to have speed limit cut to 30mph after death sparks campaign
- 2 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 'A posy fit for a Queen' - Winners crowned in school Jubilee competition
- 5 Escaped cows block traffic on A1065 in Suffolk
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 WATCH: Big Jet TV films at RAF Lakenheath to mark new Top Gun movie
- 9 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 10 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
After defeating FC Clacton last weekend Wroxham put Hadleigh to the sword with an impressive display to move up to eighth.
Harley Black opened the scoring and Connor Ingram’s first of the afternoon gave the home side a comfortable lead at the break. A quick-fire double from Jordan Bond effectively ended the match as a contest but further goals from Ingram and an own goal underlined Wroxham’s superiority. Gorleston twice came from behind to gain a point in a 2-2 draw at Long Melford thanks to goals from Joel Watts and Nathan Russell.
Goals from Aaron Sanders and Chris Holmes put Great Yarmouth in charge at home against Haverhill Borough. However, the visitors rallied in the second period to ensure a share of the spoils.
Fakenham Town lost 1-0 at home to Brantham.
In Division One Norwich CBS ran out easy 4-0 winners over Holland, Diss went down to a 3-0 defeat at home to Braintree Town Reserves and Norwich United’s second string crashed 11-2 at leaders Whitton United.