Thetford Town beaten 4-1 at title favourites Stowmarket

PUBLISHED: 16:53 07 October 2019 | UPDATED: 16:53 07 October 2019

New Thetford Town manager Matt Morton Picture: CLUB

New Thetford Town manager Matt Morton Picture: CLUB


It would take a brave person to bet against Stowmarket Town finishing the season as Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division champions.

The Suffolk side have invested heavily to build a squad equipped to play at a higher level and sitting eight points clear at the top of the table look a class above their rivals.

Thetford had brought to an end a sequence of 10 straight league defeats with a 3-2 midweek victory over Walsham-le-Willows, with Max Melanson scoring twice and Michael Campbell also on target.

They were comfortably beaten on Saturday but new player-manager Matt Morton will take comfort in the effort and determination shown by his side.

In just the second minute Stowmarket went in front, an unmarked Josh Mayhew netting with a simple close range header. It started a 20 minute period of domination for the home side as they controlled the tempo and carved out chance after chance. Thetford keeper Jamie Humphrey, still a teenager and a fine prospect, made numerous fine saves to keep the home side at bay.

Midway through the half, Thetford started to edge into the game. Ross Bailey and Jonny Conroy both fired wide from distance before Elliot Smith's goal drew Town level. Bailey delivered a free-kick and the unmarked Smith slid in to finish from close range.

You may also want to watch:

It was Town's best spell of the game. Soon after, Melanson broke clear in the inside right channel and his effort needed tipping over by home keeper Jamie Bradbrock.

From then on, Stowmarket were dominant. More chances came and went before half-time before a second half of relentless pressure.

Soon after the restart, Jack Ainsley's low drive, after Town failed to clear, put the league leaders back in front.

Town were being forced to defend deep with Stowmarket probing. Former Thetford striker Matt Blake struck the post with a header but Thetford defended stoutly and stayed in the game. However, with both first choice strikers - Robbie Priddle and Campbell - missing the Brecklanders offered little in attack.

A goal in the 90th minute, followed by another in injury time, both neatly worked, meant the scoreline more closely resembled the home side's dominance.

Thetford's next game is home to Norwich CBS in the Norfolk Senior Cup on Saturday (2.30pm).

Thetford Town: Humphrey, Bond, Morton, L Bailey, Cusack, Smith, R Bailey, Melanson, Sandell, Conroy (Rich), Eastwood (Hunt). Attendance: 363.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Thetford and Brandon Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Thetford and Brandon Times