Thetford Town earn point in eight-goal thriller

Haverill Rovers 4, Thetford Town 4

BATTLING Thetford Town twice fought back from two goals down to share the points in a dramatic eight-goal thriller.

It was a stirring show of character from the Brecklanders after a testing few weeks in which they had been forced to cope with the defection of several senior players and a six game losing streak.

It looked as though that run was about to extend to seven when Haverhill, a club which has applied to step up a level next season, scored twice in the first nine minutes through Dan Cornwall and Callum Harrison.

But, far from crumbling, Mark Scott’s men responded immediately when good work from James Pipe and John Curtis set up Tom Dew to fire home.

Town then took a grip, playing the better football, and levelled on 19 minutes when Pipe’s cross was fired into the roof of the net by Curtis.

Haverhill continued to look dangerous in the break and went close on 25 minutes. But Town’s neat football was also creating chances, one of them resulting in a great effort from Luke Catchpole bringing a good save from the home keeper.

Most Read

It was the hosts, however, who scored next, seven minutes before the interval, when Cornwall turned in a cross from the right from close range.

Town keeper Ian Fancett made a great save to ensure Thetford trailed only 3-2 at the break but, four minutes into the second half, Haverhill again held a two-goal lead when Cornwall completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Catchpole was judged to have handled a long range thunderbolt.

Playing into a strong wind, Town again had a mountain to climb, but they kept battling and efforts from Pipe and Curtis showed they still believed they could get something from the game.

Their second fightback began on 75 minutes when Catchpole cut in from the left and curled a stunning shot into the top right hand corner. Town pressed for the equaliser ever mindful that, in former Bury man Cornwall, Haverhill had a striker capable of finishing them off.

However, Town got their just rewards on 87 minutes when the ball went into the area and the home keeper hesitated, allowing Keiran Morphew to get the touch needed to find the net.

In fact, they almost won it as, in the last minute, they again had the ball in the net – only for Howlett to be judged to be judged offside.

On Saturday Town are at home to CRC (kick-off 3pm) – and will be hoping for the support they so badly need.

Thetford: Fancett, Cusack, D Morphew, Bailey, Wake, Dew (Barker), K Morphew, Catchpole, Leech (Howlett), Pipe, Curtis.