Thetford Town battle back in vain
Thetford Town battled back from two goals down to level, only for Halstead to break their hearts with a late winner.
This Saturday Town must pick themselves up again when they are at home to Stowmarket Town, 3pm.
Halsted Town 3, Thetford Town 2
THETFORD travelled to Halsted on Friday night and on a very wet pitch got off to the worst possible start by going a goal behind in five minutes. Town went further behind on 10 minutes when a corner was not cleared and a Halsted forward scored from close range.
Town started to up their game and a Dixon effort on 14 minutes saw Town have more of the ball and with Blake starting to cause problems Town were unlucky not to pull a goal back.
Halstead had a good chance on 30 minutes but Town did pull a goal back on 40 minutes when good work from Tavares gave Dixon the ball and his cross found Blake who made no mistake.
Town could have equalised just before the break but a Blake effort just went wide of a post.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 3 Rugby club hoping to 'ignite' interest following pandemic
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 6 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 7 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 10 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
The weather was not letting up and Town starting to attack the home defence equalised when good work between Blake and Dixon saw Dixon slot home on 50 minutes to bring the scores all square.
Town had further efforts through Scott and Blake going close.
The pitch was getting very heavy and Halsted applied pressure and only a goal-line clearance from Bailey denied them a goal.
However, on 80 minutes Halsted took the points when from a free-kick a Halsted forward found space to hit past Bowden in the Town goal.
Town could not find the equaliser in the closing minutes and Halsted claimed the points.
Full credit must go to the officials on a very difficult evening.
Thetford: Bowden, Clayton, Joseph, Bailey, Tavares, Scott, Jones, Bolton, Mann, Dixon, Blake.
Town are looking for a physio for possible two evenings a week and Saturday match days, expenses will be paid.
Contact Bob Richards on email@example.com if interested.