Thetford Town all set for kick-off
Viv Thomas Thetford Town and their Swaffham neighbours are all set for the Ridgeons League Division One kick-off on Saturday.Thetford visit March (kick-off 3pm) then host Diss in a local derby on Tuesday night (7.
Thetford Town and their Swaffham neighbours are all set for the Ridgeons League Division One kick-off on Saturday.
Thetford visit March (kick-off 3pm) then host Diss in a local derby on Tuesday night (7.45).
Thetford manager Mark Scott said he had a good squad assembled and was aiming for a top-six finish this season.
You may also want to watch:
“We start away to March, one of the teams who did the double over us last season. I am pleased about that - it will be a measure of what we have achieved and I'm really looking forward to that one.”
New signings are striker Andrew Wood and central defender Ricky Cornish, both from Team Bury., and former Thetford players Dave Richards (central defence), and Danny Tanti (central midfield) plus Pat Armes, an attacking midfielder from Thetford Rovers.
- 1 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 2 Family's desperate plea to help find missing wartime medals
- 3 Couple caught at dawn dumping waste in forest
- 4 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 5 Symptom-free Covid testing sites set to open in Thetford
- 6 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 7 Man suffers 15cm cut across face in alleged knife attack over drugs
- 8 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 9 Concerns over divide in vaccine rates - what's the situation where you live?
- 10 'Let air in' - New campaign launched as lockdown measures eased
Although most players have re-signed for Town, one departure has been striker Simon Mann who will now play for Diss Town.
Pre-season saw Thetford beaten 6-1 by a Newmarket team which included Cambridge City and St Ives players, and a 6-0 win over a local forces team.
They lost 2-1 to Ridgeons Premier side Walsham in a game where a Dave Richards strike hit the bar which would have levelled the score.
Richards scored in the 2-1 defeat by Ridgeons Premier champions Needham Market “with a 22-yard screamer into the top corner,” according
“I'm very pleased with those two games - two good performances,” he added.
Then on Saturday Thetford played SIL side Haughley and won 2-1.
“We're trying out players at the moment,” said Scott. “We have 24 lads in the squad as we have no reserve side this season.”
The lack of a reserves manager and financial constraints meant the decision was taken to concentrate all the resources into the first team this year.
“We have put together a stronger squad than last season and we're aiming for a top-six finish.
“We have got a very good squad. Everyone is upbeat and looking forward to it,” added Scott.
If anyone would like to sponsor the team they should contact club secretary Bob Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meanwhile Swaffham - under the leadership of Paul Hunt, have a squad containing both experience and youth. On Saturday the Pedlars host Ipswich Wanderers, 3pm.