Thetford Town aiming for a boost in FA Vase

Action from Dereham Town's FA Cup clash against Boston United. Picture: Ian Burt

Action from Dereham Town's FA Cup clash against Boston United. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

Thetford Town take a break from their league struggles on Saturday when they entertain Oakham United in the FA Vase.

Town go into the match having lost three matches on the trot in the Premier Division of the Thurlow Nunn League.

But they will be mindful of the fact that they had started the season well, taking 19 points from their opening nine fixtures, and will be aiming to get their campaign back on track in the national competition.

Danny White’s men will be strong favourites to progress against a side who are currently struggling a step lower down in the pyramid in Division One of the ChromaSport United Counties League.

Oakham have lost seven of their nine league games so far amd were hammered 9-0 at Blackstones on Saturday.

The game at Mundford Road kicks off at 3pm.

Thetford were in action on Friday evening and gave a decent account of themselves in a tight game at Wroxham before sliding to a 2-1 defeat, with the Yachtsmen going third in the table as a result.

Most Read

Robbie Sweeney broke through early on but his shot was drilled well wide and he combined well on occasions with the skilful Harley Black.

Sweeney it was who got away from his marker on the half hour hour and drew the inevitable foul that earned Ross Gilfedder the chance to grab the limelight from the spot but he sent his strike firmly at a barely diving Barnes in the Thetford goal.

Within minutes, however, he had shaken off the disappointment with a headed goal to open the scoring.

Thetford had threatened to upset the home crowd on a number of occasions and a 34th minute strike from Max Melanson took a deflection and nestled in the corner of the net.

There was very little to shout about in a low-key second half but it Wroxham who sealed the win after they were awarded another penalty.

This time Gilfedder stepped aside and the returning Tom Matthews smashed his spot-kick into the top corner. The game then petered out and Thetford were left to reflect on third setback in the space of seven days following defeats against leaders Felixtowe and Walton (0-5) and Walsham le Willows (1-2).