Thetford throwers make their mark in county event
- Credit: Archant
The top athletes from across the county gathered at the UEA Sportspark in Norwich for the annual Norfolk County Track and Field Championships.
There was a batch of gold medals secured by Thetford Athletic Club’s throwers, with U15 Cameron Try throwing a personal best of 27.44m in the discus to secure the victory.
Try then made it a second medal in two days with a well-earned bronze in the shot putt after beating his previous personal best by two metres to throw 9.68m.
U20 Joseph Nicholson also smashed his personal best when launching the hammer 42.43m to win the competition.
Mia Browne, also in the U20 age group, made it a hat-trick of golds for the Thetford throwers, securing victory in the hammer with a throw of 36.91m.
You may also want to watch:
Senior male Jordan Turner threw the hammer 33.26m to secure the silver.
On the track there was a gold medal for U17 Aiden Try in the 800m with a keenly-contested final seeing Try come out on top as he ran a personal best time of 2:03.3. Aiden also finished in the silver medal position in the 400m race. After winning his heat, he ran a personal best of 52.8 in the final for second spot.
- 1 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 2 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 8 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 9 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
- 10 Team GB athlete to inspire pupils to get healthy with visit to school
In the U13 girls category, Abigail Clouston was a double medallist, achieving second place in the 1,500m with a time of 5:18.0 and a third place in the 800m in 2:39.6, both personal bests.
U13 boy Ewan Peck competed in the 800m and 1500m, running times of 2:53 and 5:56.5 respectively.
It was double bronze for Jessica Norkett, with third place finishes in both the 300m and 800m U15 races with a PB of 44.6 for the 300m and 2:27.6 for the 800m. Asha Soanes just missed out on a medals despite three strong performances in field disciplines with a fourth place finish in the shot putt and javelin and a fifth place in the long jump.
U11 Alicia-Mae Howard achieved a bronze medal in the first Quad Kids competition of the series which took place alongside the County Championships.
Meanwhile, two Thetford athletes who are eligible to compete in the Suffolk Championships also had a good day, with U13 James Peck running a PB of 5:05 for the 1,500m on his way to securing the silver. His brother Benjamin also ran a PB in the 800m, clocking 2:49.7 for fourth place.