Thetford Teenager Jack Lang is Jedi champion
Thetford racer Jack Lang sealed the Formula Jedi title with two dominant drives during the final rounds of the year at the Silverstone International circuit.
Going into the weekend Lang’s main rival Andrew Dunn had a clear advantage, and after taking pole for race one looked set to defend his points lead, but engine reliability issues thwarted Dunn’s title hopes.
However, 18-year-old Lang wasn’t giving up the fight and after a brilliant start took the lead at the start of the race.
During the opening laps he was stunningly fast, pulling away by one second a lap and taking full control over the rest of the chasing pack.
When the chequered flag came out, Lang took an impressive clear win – his second of the season – ahead of Matthew Ryder, whose commendable drive was rewarded with second place and fastest lap of the race.
Disappointed, Dunn eventually came home ninth citing a lost fourth gear as the cause of his problems.
At the start of race two Dunn initially led proceedings but Lang got past on lap two and started to pull away.
- 1 Town centre's new café... with a difference
- 2 Case adjourned for man who admitted £80k fraud
- 3 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 4 Police identify suspect over sexual assault at train station
- 5 Man jailed for 'planned revenge attack' on victim
- 6 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 7 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
- 8 Level crossing failure leaves Brandon residents 'terrified'
- 9 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 10 Six people arrested at pig shed rave in west Norfolk
If Lang went on to win, Dunn needed to finish no lower than fourth to take the title and so holding second looked the safe bet.
At the midway point Lang had the hammer down and extended his lead to over five seconds ahead of Dunn in second, and the chasing pack.
Sadly for Dunn however, suspected engine issues saw him pulling off the circuit on lap 12, unable to finish and leaving his only hope of winning the championship with Lang not finishing.
However Lang was putting in another solid drive and was elated to take the 2014 title with his second dominant win of the weekend.
The Formula Jedi Championship was launched in 1997 and sees bike-engined, single-seater cars compete at circuits around the UK.
It is considered to be Ideal for novice racers, as a proven route onto the single-seater ladder from karting. Lang races in the Championship Class, for engines produced between 2004 and 2008.
For more details, go to www.formulajedi.com
Formula Jedi Championship Class final standings: 1 Jack Lang, Thetford (Gorse Motors), 296; 2 Andrew Dunn, Evanton, 284; 3 Paul Butcher, Cambridge (www.swiftkey.net), 221.