Thetford Sports & Social reach cup final
Thetford Sports & Social club veterans, in their third season of the Norfolk and Suffolk Veterans League, were looking to reach their first final on Sunday.
Their semi-final Shield match was away to Beccles Caxton. Injury struck Thetford started the game with only 10 men, but they worked hard off the ball to keep Beccles at bay and looked to catch Beccles on the break. After 15 minutes Thetford were awarded a free-kick. Morgan Crane delivered a perfect ball which was headed home by Ray Lott.
Soon after, Thetford were awarded another free-kick in a similar position.This time Bobby Hunt delivered for Morgan Crane to power a header home to make it 2-0.
After 35 minutes, Thetford we up to full strength with the late arrival of their 11th man. However, with the additional man Thetford appeared to take their foot off the peddle.
In the second half Beccles came out fighting and piled the pressure on Thetford and were rewarded with a headed goal from a free-kick.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford looked shaken and on the hour Beccles got a deserved equaliser.
This was the wake up call Thetford required as two minutes later, from a corner, Morgan Crane fired home from six yards out to restore their lead.
- 1 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 2 Wanted man identified after Thetford shop burglary
- 3 Man due in court in connection with Norfolk stab attack
- 4 Bryan Cranston to Meghan Markle - how USO show brings stars to our region
- 5 Work starts on new £4.2m housing project in Norfolk village
- 6 Training at RAF base given positive rating by Ofsted
- 7 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 8 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 9 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
Beccles continued to push forward but Thetford killed off the game when Bobby Hunt headed home their fourth to clinch a final place.
Man of the Match was Bobby Hunt.
The final is to be played at Diss Town on Friday, April 27, 7.45pm kick off.
Last week, Thetford’s league match was away to Cromer, Thetford travelled with a bare 11 but put in a solid performance to win 4-0 with two goals from Jamie McGill and Marcus Hawkins and Martin French getting the other two. Man of the Match was Jamie McGill.
The win cemented Thetford’s second position in the league only three points behind leaders Harleston.
Their next game is on April 15 at Nunnery Stud against leaders Harleston, 2.30pm kick-off.