Thetford Sports & Social reach cup final
Thetford Sports & Social club veterans, in their third season of the Norfolk and Suffolk Veterans League, were looking to reach their first final on Sunday.
Their semi-final Shield match was away to Beccles Caxton. Injury struck Thetford started the game with only 10 men, but they worked hard off the ball to keep Beccles at bay and looked to catch Beccles on the break. After 15 minutes Thetford were awarded a free-kick. Morgan Crane delivered a perfect ball which was headed home by Ray Lott.
Soon after, Thetford were awarded another free-kick in a similar position.This time Bobby Hunt delivered for Morgan Crane to power a header home to make it 2-0.
After 35 minutes, Thetford we up to full strength with the late arrival of their 11th man. However, with the additional man Thetford appeared to take their foot off the peddle.
In the second half Beccles came out fighting and piled the pressure on Thetford and were rewarded with a headed goal from a free-kick.
Thetford looked shaken and on the hour Beccles got a deserved equaliser.
This was the wake up call Thetford required as two minutes later, from a corner, Morgan Crane fired home from six yards out to restore their lead.
- 1 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 2 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 5 Man charged after robbing bookmakers with a knife in Suffolk town
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 10 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
Beccles continued to push forward but Thetford killed off the game when Bobby Hunt headed home their fourth to clinch a final place.
Man of the Match was Bobby Hunt.
The final is to be played at Diss Town on Friday, April 27, 7.45pm kick off.
Last week, Thetford’s league match was away to Cromer, Thetford travelled with a bare 11 but put in a solid performance to win 4-0 with two goals from Jamie McGill and Marcus Hawkins and Martin French getting the other two. Man of the Match was Jamie McGill.
The win cemented Thetford’s second position in the league only three points behind leaders Harleston.
Their next game is on April 15 at Nunnery Stud against leaders Harleston, 2.30pm kick-off.