Thetford’s silver star Oliver Massingham represents England
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
Thetford athletes Mia Browne, Levi Roper and Oliver Massingham travelled north to Gateshead to compete for their counties at the English Schools National Track and Field Championships.
Competing for Norfolk in the inter boys discus was Massingham who, after a shaky start, suddenly pulled it together and nailed an excellent 47m 08cm throw to secure second place and a much prized English Schools silver medal.
His second place also secured the opportunity to represent England, in the SIAB Schools International in Grangemouth, Scotland.
Competing again in the discus, in the 15-16 age group, Massingham was against the very best discus throwers from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. In the fifth round he pulled out a magnificent throw of 49.68m to secure a brilliant second place and silver medal in his first ever international competition.
The other Thetford athletes competing at the English Schools event included Megan Rushmore, for Norfolk in the senior girls hammer, who finished a superb ninth place with 43.55m.
Competing for Suffolk was Browne, in the inter girls hammer. She performed very well against stiff opposition and finished with a best throw of 43.55m to narrowly miss out on a place in the final.
Also competing for Suffolk was Roper in the inter boys hammer, who was up against some very seasoned hammer throwers and managed to pull out an excellent 48.51m throw to again, narrowly miss out on a place in the final.
- 1 Homes with dedicated support for rough sleepers to be built in Thetford
- 2 Council buys disused building to regenerate town's riverfront
- 3 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 4 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 Rescued Mariah and Carey recovering after A11 crash
- 6 'Threat to democracy' - Opposition fears council's constitution change
- 7 Council leader refuses to condemn Downing Street parties
- 8 Liz Truss sidesteps leadership question as she backs 'fantastic' PM
- 9 Jess Glynne cancels summer show in Thetford Forest
- 10 Medals awarded to esteemed military man to go under the hammer
The athletes are members of the Thetford Athletics Club throws group, coached by Gary Howe. The group is based at the Kilverstone Estate near Thetford, with introductory free sessions every Saturday from 10am to noon. For more information e-mail email@example.com.