Thetford's final ambition
Thetford Town beat local rivals Swaffham in the Norfolk Senior Cup - and are aiming to go all the way to the final.Boss Mick Money said: “Last year Sheringham got through to the final - there's no reason why we couldn't do that too.
Thetford Town beat local rivals Swaffham in the Norfolk Senior Cup - and are aiming to go all the way to the final.
Boss Mick Money said: “Last year Sheringham got through to the final - there's no reason why we couldn't do that too.
“We beat Swaffham 7-1 in the league but it wasn't going to be an easy cup game because they wanted revenge.
“I was pleased. It wasn't a classic game but we got through. It showed the character of the team.”
You may also want to watch:
Thetford return to league action on Saturday when they visit Great Yarmouth.
Money said: “They have only dropped two points all season - and that was to us.
- 1 Tributes flood in for Dad's Army superfan and family man Neville
- 2 Build of new school building could see more places for SEND children
- 3 Drug-driver's pickup cannoned off-duty detective's car into oncoming traffic
- 4 UEA expert in infectious diseases expects delay to 'Freedom Day'
- 5 Drunk inmate threatened to stab prison officer
- 6 Road reopens after crash between car and lorry
- 7 New date for trial of five accused of Thetford murder
- 8 New transporter bike for wheelchair users launched at Thetford Forest
- 9 Task force to assess future developments of West Suffolk's markets
- 10 Man, 18, arrested in connection with serious sexual assault
“It would be nice to go to the Wellesley and be the first to beat them. There's no reason why we can't do that. I think we're a bit of a bogey side for them. Some teams you always do well against whatever is happening with your team.”
Town's next home game is on Friday, October 17, when Fakenham Town are the visitors, ko 7.45pm.
Money explained: “We are trying to have Friday night games at home to get more supporters in. A lot go to watch Norwich on a Saturday.”
Theford progressed into the fourth round of the Norfolk Senior Cup, beating Swaffham 3-1.
Town dominated the first half for long periods but could not apply the final finish. Senior, Jones and Richards all had good chances to score.
Against the run of play, Swaffham took the lead when Chatters scored from an acute angle. Town continued to create chances, but to no avail.
Town with a strong wind on their backs, applied early second-half pressure but it was Swaffham, through Chatter, that had the chances.
Town got a deserved equaliser on 65 minutes when a Greg Devlin free-kick was tipped over by the keeper and from the resulting corner, Richards headed across goal for Mann to score from close range.
Town took the lead five minutes later when a Devlin throw was helped on by Jackson for Richards to score.
Swaffham had one more chance before Town sealed the win on 82 minutes when a pass from Lee Devlin was flicked over the advancing keeper by Mann.
A good game and a well-deserved win for Town.
Thetford Reserves travelled to Leiston and on a blustery day came away pointless, losing 4-2, with goals from Jonny Large and Tymal Mills, making his senior debut.
Next, they host Felixstowe & Walton, ko 3pm.