Thetford RUFC continue their superb start to the season

Action from Thetford RUFC's 64-7 win at Ipswich YM.

Action from Thetford RUFC's 64-7 win at Ipswich YM. - Credit: Submitted

Thetford continued their superb start to the season by continuing their 100 per cent start to the campaign with their biggest win of the season yet, winning 64-7 at Ipswich YM.

The squad had welcomed back impressive centre Tim Mann and Gary Lawrence came back into the front row. The biggest change saw Matt Bailey move from the wing to join his brother in the back row.

The game started as expected with Thetford moving the ball around and YM happy to keep it tight. The YM Pack were much larger than the mobile pack Thetford have become accustomed to fielding. Thetford’s forwards were not to be intimidated though. With the defensive line being driven by Matt Bailey and Zak Pizzey the Larger YM forwards were given no time to gather momentum.

After lots of pressure the home team tried to clear their lines only for the kick to be charged down by Luke Bailey and the loose ball hacked forward by Matt Bailey was gathered by Adam Harper who drew the defence to release Mann for his first try.

Next up Martin jinked his way through the defence and with only the full-back to beat threw a massive pass to Clark on the wing who finished off an opportunistic try.

Luke Bailey scored an excellent individual try before the back line, marshalled by Briggs at 10 and Martin at full-back, used a new move from set-piece and did so with devastating affect from Thetford’s own 22 to allow Martin to score untouched from 60 metres out, for a half-time lead of 26-0.

Ipswich hit back with a converted try early in the second half but it was to be the last time YM troubled the Thetford line, with Mann completing his hat-trick, Clark scoring from inside his own 22, Gardiner scoring under the posts, Clark also completing his hat-trick and then Gardiner scoring in the corner to complete the rout.

Most Read

The reliable boot of Briggs brought the score to 64-7 and the final whistle blew, with Indigo Recycling Services man of the match went to Matt Bailey.

The win keeps Nigel Brown’s side top of Greene King IPA Eastern Counties One.