Thetford Rovers return home with cup
Hundon 1, Thetford Rovers 3
THIS year’s Snailwell and District Challenge Cup final was contested between Thetford Rovers (who finished fifth in the Anglian Combination) and Hundon (who finished bottom in the Cambridgeshire Kershaw Premier Division).
Hundon caught reigning cup holders Thetford off-guard with a goal within the first five minutes through James Mayes. Thetford continued to struggle with Hundon’s style of play and made little progress in the final third of the pitch until the 25th minute when forcing a corner following their first real shot at goal.
Thetford scored the equaliser with a textbook set-piece headed into the net by Rovers’ centre-forward Alan Goodwin to make it 1-1 .
The second half was competitively fought as both teams looked to finish the season with a flourish. In the 65th minute the referee reduced the teams to 10 apiece following an over-exuberant challenge. Thetford took the upper hand and were rewarded in the 70th minute when a deft finish by Goodwin put them 2-1 up.
In the 75th minute man-of-the-match Alex Dagraca beat three defenders before calmly slotting the ball past the Hundon goalkeeper and into the net making it 3–1.
The popular annual charity competition has again been well supported by the local footballing community and all proceeds will go to locally-based charities.
- 1 Part of A134 closed after crash between lorry and car
- 2 Woman breaks down in tears as she denies making up sex assaults
- 3 Forest ride in memory of 'lively character' and popular mountain biker
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 6 Huge farm network is helping rare Brecks wildlife in field margins
- 7 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 8 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 9 New rules introduced today in bid to stop Omicron spread
- 10 Decision delayed on changes at South Norfolk equestrian centre