Thetford Rovers return home with cup
Hundon 1, Thetford Rovers 3
THIS year’s Snailwell and District Challenge Cup final was contested between Thetford Rovers (who finished fifth in the Anglian Combination) and Hundon (who finished bottom in the Cambridgeshire Kershaw Premier Division).
Hundon caught reigning cup holders Thetford off-guard with a goal within the first five minutes through James Mayes. Thetford continued to struggle with Hundon’s style of play and made little progress in the final third of the pitch until the 25th minute when forcing a corner following their first real shot at goal.
Thetford scored the equaliser with a textbook set-piece headed into the net by Rovers’ centre-forward Alan Goodwin to make it 1-1 .
The second half was competitively fought as both teams looked to finish the season with a flourish. In the 65th minute the referee reduced the teams to 10 apiece following an over-exuberant challenge. Thetford took the upper hand and were rewarded in the 70th minute when a deft finish by Goodwin put them 2-1 up.
You may also want to watch:
In the 75th minute man-of-the-match Alex Dagraca beat three defenders before calmly slotting the ball past the Hundon goalkeeper and into the net making it 3–1.
The popular annual charity competition has again been well supported by the local footballing community and all proceeds will go to locally-based charities.
- 1 Mini science centre to feature at town's riverside development
- 2 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 3 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 4 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 5 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Wanted man arrested in Dereham
- 8 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 9 Logs spill across A47 after lorry and tractor crash
- 10 Team GB athlete to inspire pupils to get healthy with visit to school