Thetford Rovers hit Hempnall Reserves for six in Anglian Combination
Thetford Rovers 6 Hempnall Res 0
Rovers maintained winning ways against Hempnall Reserves at Euston Park to go back to the top of the table.
Boosted by the return of captain Gary Hockins, Rovers also brought in teenagers Ryan Skipp (17) and Jason Chasney (16), who had both impressed in training in midweek.
The game started at a much slower tempo than the previous week, but with Rovers in control from the off.
Rovers failed to make the most of their early opportunities, but made the breakthrough when Jeff Baxter was fouled in the box. Adam Haylett’s penalty was saved – but he converted the rebound.
You may also want to watch:
Rovers were firmly in the driving seat but were still lacking the final touch until club top goalscorer Jeff Baxter found some space in the box to coolly make it 2-0 before the break.
Managers Brooksie and Simo still weren’t happy with the tempo, desire or quality on display and some tough words were given at half-time.
- 1 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 2 Emotional great grandma meets nine-month-old twins for first time
- 3 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 4 'Vital' washing and cooking facilities to help homeless opens in town
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 6 Before the blaze: Elveden Forest Center Parcs in its early years
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk election 2021: No change in Breckland
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
This had an instant impact as Rovers increased the tempo in which they played and began to have more chances on goal.
The third goal came when Simon Mann crossed for Haylett to head in. Mann scored the fourth before Kamren Senior, who is only one goal behind Baxter, claimed the fifth with a powerful effort that gave the keeper no chance.
With continued pressure it was debutant Skipp who completed the scoring with an excellent finish low into the right corner.
After a much improved second half team perfomance the man of the match were awarded to Adam Haylett for a fine display in the middle of the park.