Thetford rise after draw
THETFORD Town finally got a game after a frustratingly long break because of the weather - but they couldn't find a way past rivals Whitton United.Although Whitton were two places higher than Town in the Ridgeons Division One table, Thetford were hoping to pick up where they left off - playing brilliantly to hold leaders Yarmouth to a draw at the end of last year.
THETFORD Town finally got a game after a frustratingly long break because of the weather - but they couldn't find a way past rivals Whitton United.
Although Whitton were two places higher than Town in the Ridgeons Division One table, Thetford were hoping to pick up where they left off - playing brilliantly to hold leaders Yarmouth to a draw at the end of last year.
It wasn't to be but at least the extra point saw Thetford move one position higher - to tenth, just below Whitton.
This Saturday, Thetford hope to get a full three points off hosts Halstead, currently sixth in the table, with a kick-off time of 3pm.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford 0, Whitton United 0
THETFORD Town entertained Whitton United for their first Saturday fixture in six weeks.
- 1 RAF base warns of increased Apache helicopter flying activity
- 2 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Where you are most likely to get your bike stolen in Norfolk
- 5 Car crashes into central reservation on A11
- 6 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 7 Pet crematorium plans submitted but residents have air concerns
- 8 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 9 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 10 Abusive man grabbed wife by throat and banged her head on floor
It was Whitton who started the sharper and created some early chances which Town dealt with.
It was 20 minutes before Thetford mounted their first attack and 25 minutes before their first corner, which was cleared.
Whitton had their best chance on 37 minutes when a forward ran through but Bowden stood his ground and the shot went wide.
Town nearly took the lead on 40 minutes when a long ball found Dixon but his lob just went the wrong side of the post. Half-time 0-0.
Town had a good penalty appeal turned down early in the second half when Dixon appeared to be brought down in the area but the referee waved play on.
Whitton then had a spell of pressure but poor finishing and good defending kept things even.
Town should have taking the lead on 54 minutes when a through ball from Scott found Dixon whose hurried shot went wide. Town started to push forward and a great save from Moyes denied Clayton and from the resulting corner Howard went close.
The game went from end to end with Whitton having a good chance on 75 minutes and then a Bowden save denied them a goal.
In the closing minutes there was tension at both ends but the game ended in stalemate with neither team able to convert their chances.
Meanwhile, Thetford Reserves had a good win at Stowmarket 3-1 with Volta, Almeida and Dean the scorers for Town.
This weekend they host Walsham-le-Willows, 3pm.