Thetford RFC win Norfolk Junior Cup

PUBLISHED: 20:44 08 May 2017 | UPDATED: 20:44 08 May 2017

Thetford pile on the pressure during Saturday's Norfolk Junior Cup final against Wymondham. Picture: Dawn Heather

Thetford pile on the pressure during Saturday's Norfolk Junior Cup final against Wymondham. Picture: Dawn Heather


Thetford rounded off a season to remember by beating Wymondham 55-24 in the final of the Norfolk Junior Cup.

They scored eight tries at the Big Rugby Day at Holt to pick up a trophy to go with their Eastern Counties One title triumph.

Wymondham started the stronger and opened the scoring with an uncoverted try. Thetford rallied with seven points of their own when Will Martin’s precision kick was caught and grounded by Ryan Gardiner. Moments later Martin converted a penalty to extend the lead.

The Thetford forwards then got in on the act after a lineout close to the try line was secured by the impressive Dan Cotton. The maul started but was brought down by Wymondham and Matt Bailey burrowed his way over to take the score to 14-5.

Another spell of pressure drove Wymondham into their own half and they tried to kick deep into Thetford territory, only for the kick to be fielded by Josh Clark who returned with interest, beating defenders and skilfully offloading to Rob Duchesne to score his opener. Thetford did not let up and Adam Harper scored next following an interchange with Gardiner after captain Chris Thomas took on the defenders down the blind side.

Just before half-time Wymondham scored again to make the score 31-12.

Thetford scored first in the second half with Martin scoring his 51st try of the season with a trademark weaving run cutting through the defence.

Thetford were then reduced to 13 by yellow cards and during this spell Wymondham capitalised and scored a well worked converted try. As soon as they were returned to a full complement normal service was resumed.

Thetford, dominant at the scrum led by club captain Aaron Stokoe, Abraham Barnes and stalwart Richard Sharp, started the momentum for the next try. A big drive gave the backs front foot ball to Duchesne who went over the line. Wymondham were caught moments later when Zak Pizzey managed to work the ball loose from a Wymondham maul and ran in untouched from 40 metres out. The last Thetford points were scored by Gardiner who was the recipient of a perfectly timed ball.

It was Wymondham who closed out the game with a try and conversion.

Gary Lee of Indigo Recycling Services awarded the man-of-the-match award to Dan Cotton.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Thetford and Brandon Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

$render.recurse($ctx, '$content.code.value')

Most Read

Latest from the Thetford and Brandon Times